Experience with new SCR engines?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Oram, Sep 8, 2012.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's what I meant, it would just run better. Sorry for the confusion

Ethan

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    im on my 2nd set of front springs the truck is built too light for cdn weights after 3 steering racks front tires last a yr now the new ones have addressed these issues tho 2010 model motor is great

4. durallymax

durallymax Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    On big trucks the risk is higher. But with the new breed of trucks they are going to be targeting the new ones first then the older ones.

I havent taken the time to calculate the numbers for an OTR truck. But for pickups, deleting the SCR system is not economical. It costs about 2k-4k depending on what you do and who installs it or if you do. The cost of DEF over 100,000 miles is around $600 and that's figuring heavy usage and parts store pricing of $13/2.5gal. The fuel economy isnt really going up on the trucks with deleted systems. If it does its only 1mpg at most which for a pickup truck that got 15 and now gets 16 and you figure the guys owns it for 100,000-200,000 miles tops it just doesn't add up even at $4 diesel.

Then there's the warranty factor. These new systems still have bugs as do other parts of the engines. The new CP4 Bosch system doesn't like the high scar US fuel. The pump itself is only $850 wholesale but its a lot of labor and when it goes out it sometimes will take a few injectors with it and also require full disassemvly an cleaning of the fuel system.

I do a lot of performance and repair work on trucks and generally recommend against deleting the SCR system unless the person just needs /wants more power for competition because the stock power level of 400hp and around 800lb-ft on all of the big 3 is plenty.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Just an update, the truck I've posted about a couple of times in this thread is an 011 kw with a cummins isx. It has 100k on it now. It started using motor oil and having regen problems. Now the kw dealer says valve seals are bad and this is the cause of both problems. The poor guy who owns this truck has missed 10 days of work in the last month and a half. He's not a happy camper.

6. durallymax

durallymax Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Cummins is really starting to fall off.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

7. dpfndefbad

dpfndefbad Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    PA
    I have a new 2012 kw with a 500hp scr cummins. Geared the same as my 2000 pete same trans...same rears, same tires and wheels..pete is air trac kw is ag 460 air ride. Both run the exact same runs one is 500lbs lighter but both are loaded to max gross. NON SCR ENGINE CONSISTENTLY GETS .5 MPG BETTER NOT TO MENTION PROBLEMS WITH FAILED REGENS BECAUSE OF BAD SENSORS ALSO YOU NEED TO PERIODICALLY REPLACE DPF FILTER WHICH IS IN THE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. ALSO CRANKCASE FILTER IS SALTY AND NEEDS REPLACED EVERY 50K MILES. ADD THE COST OF DEF AND IT COSTS ME 20% MORE TO OPERATE THAN MY OLD ENGINE. I HAVE TO LAUGH EVERYTIME I CALL KW DEALER TO GET A FILTER AND IM ON HOLD AND THE REPEATING COMMERCIAL SAYS SCR ENGINES ARE MORE RELIABLE AND EFFICIENT....BS. Local company I work with has just purchased their 15th glider. Says he learned his lesson on first and only scr engine he will every buy. And i almost forgot my 12 is on second turbo with only 130k miles

8. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Is your scr system different to ours? We have scr engines since 2007, no reliability problems, no dpf filters to change , is it because up to now your emissions laws are tougher and need extra equipment on them?

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I'm not sure about the difference between the euro and US scr systems. But wait till you get the dpf systems! Do you get those next year over there?

The poor s o b I work with is ready to drive this 011 into a bridge abutment . It's our busiest time of the season! And he is always in the dealers service bay.

Scania man Thanks this.
  10. dpfndefbad

dpfndefbad Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    PA

11. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.