Experience with your LTL company

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ACH1130, Sep 23, 2012.

1. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I feel bad for those CWF drivers. No offense to all the Conway guys on here but that place leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I was OTR and would pick up from them, I would watch their drivers work on the dock and I mean fast too. Then they had to go drive. Forget that! A lot of the drivers I talked to hated the place. They would tell me to go to any ltl company but there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OMG! An LTL driver actually having to WORK THE DOCK????:biggrin_2551: SAY IT AIN'T SO!

So what is the big deal about working the dock. It is part of the job, along with driving, loading and unloading. If you want a sit on your arse job, LTL is most likely NOT the job you are looking for.:biggrin_25513:

4. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Well, all I do is sit on my butt and I am an LTL driver. So I guess I have a pretty good gig going. If I wanted to work the dock, I'd be a dock worker. I was also talking about the line drivers at CWF not the local drivers. I understand local guys having to do that.

5. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Unless you have actually done, you really have no clue. When I just started here I was all about that, if you go reread my posts.

Now I work at a different barn with a longer run and it is absolutely horrible. Try driving 3-4 hrs, then sitting on a forklift for 5-6 hrs trying to dodge 30-50 other forklifts, dealing with the heat, trying not to run over people walking on the dock, avoiding running over freight, hopping up on beams, moving heavy crap by hand. Depending on the breakbulk you run to, you must move a certain amount of bills per hour, plus drop beams, find dunnage, straps, wait for some other ####### to quit jerking off in a trailer. And then sometimes because guys just want to get their bill count up, they floorload the ####, then a supervisor makes you rework an entire trailer, while in the middle of your breaker. Then try to drive home and not roll your set. Tell me about it big guy. That #### is no fun.

cool35 and ACH1130 Thank this.
  6. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

Thats funny, at our Terminal, ALL drivers are forbidden from climbing on and driving any of our 50+ Tow motors. They dont even want us on the dock! They have 3 full shifts of dockworkers and they can have at it! Probably explains why i work 8hrs. Deliver, Pickup then go HOME!

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Uh CC? I "have actually done."

Try working at a smaller operation. You will find you do it all. It is just part of the job.

8. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Like the others said, go in at 5pm, work the outbound for 2.5 hours while rushing on the lift. Then hooking up a set and driving 2 hours to the hub, breaking the set down, working the dock another 6-8 hours, then having to rehook and drive back . Or going in at 7, hooking up, driving 4.5 hours, doing the dock for who knows how long, then driving back... guys would have to pull over to rest.

P/D was no prize either, either go in whatever time, rush through the dockwork breaking trailers, then having to rush rush on your route because they dont want you staying out, they would call the stop if you took to long and tell them let you go... Then having to go back and work the dock again.

Your either a DRIVER or a DOCKWORKER. If you do both it should be going to one or two quick stops, not going out and doing 6-9 stops.

YRC either you work the dock or drive. Even if we dont like the way our trucks set up, we tell the supervisor and he has one of the guys rearrange it the way you want it. Or if you go back to pickup more freight the dock guys will either load your truck(if you have a straight truck) or they will have the trailer already loaded and all you do is drop and hook.

CWF, FedEx and RL are the only two that make you do that. Most other LTL companies your one or the other. Thats why the turnover rate is SO high at these companies and others have almost none

My terminal is small, but either its a dock worker or driver. I would NEVER work for another LTL that requires driver/dock combo every day. I was very tired every day

CenutryClass, cool35 and fastSVT Thank this.
  9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Sure, it is tiring work. But I did enjoy the variety involved with it.

DISCLAIMER: It is quite possible, perhaps even likely, that enjoy it more looking back on it, than I did when I was doing it. I do seem to remember a bit of beetching and whining at the time. . .:biggrin_25525:

10. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    My terminal is small, but either its a dock worker or driver. I would NEVER work for another LTL that requires driver/dock combo every day. I was very tired every day

Me niether, i can hold my own driving a customers forklift when needed, but i'm a driver not a dockworker! we have some dockworkers that aint no dockworkers either however we have some that blow my mind how they are able to cram my 40' trailer with so much freight and not damage anything in the process.

11. bctc

bctc Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Ontario, CA
    I checked the political forum. Not much much in the way of union discussions. I agree with 074344. The posts get buried. Why? Union drivers are just as important as non union drivers. The only difference seems to be a battle between haves and the have nots.

If you look at all the posts on this forum, it seems to me that there are not too many union drivers posting. Why is that? Please tell me why?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.