Experience with YRC ( includes YRC, New Penn, USF Reddaway and Holland

Discussion in 'YRC' started by ACH1130, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Thanks ST. Don't get me wrong, I have always been for the union. I have had 4 different teamster driving jobs in my day. It's just that I have heard that the Reddaway yards aren't under NMFA. They are under some kind of paper contract. I heard the health benefits aren't paid fully either. I know that the pay has been cut at Reddaway a lot and they also lost a week of vacation. They haven't put any money into the 401k since 2009. I understand why they want the union. Just a little confused how it's all gonna go down. I loved being in NFMA and would like to again but it doesn't seem to be happening for Reddaway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Squonk

Squonk Medium Load Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mmmmmmm, popcorn. ST, where you at?

4. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    Your eating popcorn so I assume your at 309 and I'm 350 miles due north of you at my home in Michigan. Did you see the COO?? Lol!!!

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    @MR V its a lot bigger than my old 150 yard, managerment seemed called too. How you been, what you up to these days?

@Cool35 I hear you on the junk equipment. All my trucks ive had are million + miles trucks. Some are ok, some are just horrifying. Driving through the mountains at night is a challenge too, especially on I84, the pavement is uneven the the truck bounces everywhere. I think it will be some time before YRC even merges all the companies into one, but I doubt it. This way if one of the company gets a customer mad, they can use another company to still get money into the company

@Squonk they also have popcorn at Harrisburg... But i was eating pork rinds( they are addicting)

@Skinny what is the COO bringing??? I hope it doesnt slow us down

6. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    well today was a LONGGGGG day, nothing like using up ALL 14 hours. Went in and was sent to 150 (old yard) now its pitch black in the mountains, and although its 84 miles away it still took almost 2 hours to go (I84 SUX) then from there I went to 136 with an empty, had to go on the cross bronx expressway (HORRRIBLE, a bridge knocked my CB antenna off, thankfully it isnt damaged and still functional) over the GW bridge, to 136. From there i dropped the empty pup off, and got a dolley and bobtailed with dolley in tow to the rail yard. Now that was a mess as the computer was giving me a hard time, finally got it to work, and surprisingly the trailers were in the CORRECt location and right next to each other, I was like OH YEA!!!!!! took the kite out, moved it aside, then put the dolley in front, then hooked the lead and on my first shot i got the pintle hook on the trailer RIGHT onto the dolley, all i had to do ws lower it, PERFECT!!! of course I got ####y boasting how awesome I was, then finished hooking everything, went to the exit which took 30 minutes as out of 8 lanes, only 3 were open, one for bobtail, one for UPS and one for everyone else... HEy at least I was payed

Then i get back to 123 with 6 hours of duty time left. Go inside and the boss wants to see me about the ticket from yesterday. Speak to him and he says ok im going outside to do a pre-trip with you, as a surprise test (Heard he does that every so often) Go outside and PASSED with flying colors, although. I had a hot load to 145 (87 miles straight down I84) and now i just wasted 45 minutes with this but I was like whatever if im out of hours its all on him. Got there at 10:45, to find out the switcher is on break so I had to break the set and rebuild. (145 is such a weird yard, it looks like an old warehouse and the built small rooms inside it, the dock has a ceiling like a HUGE warehouse) So I break the set and back the trailers, then of course my dolley breaks on me, so I had to find a new one, rebuild a set, took a hour and 15 minutes, now its 12 and Im 87 miles away... and its almost rush hour. Of course the dispatcher was having problems, so I finally leave at 12:15, since im MT I was able to haul @#$ on the way back, made it JUST in time at 1:57.

I gotta tell you some of these trucks are powerless, the twin screw coming back was having troubles on the hill MT.

Well im on rest now, been up since 9 last night and its 445 in NY time so good night all, safe travels

7. Squonk

Squonk Medium Load Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    *yawn* Morning guys. Looks like it's back home via railyard.

8. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    LOL, I hear you ACH! We are supposed to be getting new trucks down here really soon. Freightliners and Volvo's. They need new trailers too!!! I saw a YRC team going north on the I-5 out here in Cali and that truck looked brand new! I was jealous! Wish I was still running teams at a union company. I now hope all us Reddaway guys vote in the Teamsters. I was a little worried but now I know it was just the management trying to scare us. I'll be taking the card next time I see them.

9. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    @ACH. It's a management shakeup. They called it a COO but really they just added a bunch of high level executive jobs. It's total bs. @cool35. We got this new sleeper trucks last years. They are lease trucks from Penske with YRC emblems. They are 10 times better than our old single axle trucks.

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    ST, That's cool, it's nice to ride around in style and comfort!

11. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    They can add new high paying executive jobs, but they can't keep their drivers working, or fix the equipment... Sounds like a REALLY good idea.

first breakdown... Truck is ALL over the road with steering problems... Stuff like this irritates me when they waste whatever money they have on BS like uniforms and GPS systems for the peddle trucks, but can't keep the equipment maintained

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.