Experience

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jp276856, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Jp276856

Jp276856 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2024
    I’m currently 20 years old and will turn 21 in about 6 months. I currently work at FedEx as a yard jockey and planning to get my cdl. My goal is to work for a contractor doing FedEx line haul (local).
    Right now I’ve talked with my girlfriends dad and he’s willing to let me drive for him at a small company once I finish school and get my cdl but it most likely won’t be a full time position. I’m curious if helping/driving for him occasionally will go towards me getting my experience and will other companies hire me based on that.
    I’m located in central Florida and most runs would go to Jacksonville or St Augustine

With it being a small company will other larger companies look at me differently or is the experience just experience no matter what?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Yes, part time counts. Not only that, I’m sure he can vouch for you that you worked/drove more than just part time.

Jp276856 Thanks this.
  4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    I'd say stick with the FedEx job. You'll probably get more experience there, more money, and frankly, if you can put up with their BS, and not hit anything, then any company would hire you. Get your experience with the high-stress end of trucking in while you are young and can still handle it. Trust me, running yourself ragged while you are still young will pay off handsomely when you are ready to retire; your SS check will be impressive by then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.