Experienced truckers who eat healthy on the road.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Bizzarrogeorge, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Bizzarrogeorge

Bizzarrogeorge Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2022
    That's actually a great idea, and I've got the old nesco dehydrator sitting in the closet. Maybe I'll monkey around with some other stuff like you make. I've only ever done jerky, but why not soups and pastas? I'll have to give it a whirl.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bizzarrogeorge

Jun 18, 2022
    I want to thank everyone who replied to my question, it definitely helped build a clear image of what to expect during training, and I like that you gave me ideas to try after training, like homemade dehydrated meals, and stuffing some healthy foods that should keep unrefrigerated in my duffel, like tuna pouches and avacado. Think that'll be my lunch tomorrow! I appreciate all the suggestions and you gave me hope that it's possible to still eat 'right' after training for sure, and eat sort of 'right' during, even if it's not exactly what I'm used to. I say 'right' only because we each have our own version of eating, and it would be nuts to say any one way is better than the other, in the end it's what works for us as individuals, and it sounds like there are a lot of good ways you told me about, I'm just jealous of the man who can still eat donuts!

Attached Files:

• R.png
      R.png
      File size:
      559.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Today I was told I have type II diabetes. I’ve been hearing about being borderline for 10 yrs. To the point it goes in one ear and out the other. My mother had the same issues I have now, at the same age. I’m 58, 5’8”, and 227 lbs. and gaining. Normal is 175-180 years ago, when I was young, healthy and very active. Gained 20 lbs. first month I started doing long haul. I’ve been as high as 213, 24 yrs ago, low as 180, while off the Truck for surgery, on a Vicadin diet, Lol. Have hit 220, a couple times in the last 5 yrs. Averaging around 210. 6 weeks ago, I had lost 7 lbs. down to 206. I was surprised, and tried to keep the trend going. Now 6 weeks later, I’m 227. WTF? Not much has changed in my diet. I’ve actually been eating less, and a bit healthier. Tomorrow I start taking the pills. My Mother suddenly gained weight, and could barely even walk, in her early 50’s. She lost weight, eating a Mediterranean diet, reversed diabetes, high cholesterol, even stopped taking a heart pill she’d been taking for years for rapid heart beat. Very impressive. Had I not saw the comparisons of her blood work, I honestly wouldn’t have believed her, as she would sometimes exaggerate. Lol. She lived relatively healthy to 71yrs. Heavy smoker for 60 yrs. She died of a sudden heart attack, about 7 yrs ago. Fair enough, not bad, considering everything. My daughter has type 1, has taken insulin since her early teens. She’s very healthy, due to diet, and exercise. She tells me that my rapid weight gain, and neuropathy in my feet, and tired legs and hip muscle spasms may reverse, taking the pills. Probably caused by red blood cells being enlarged, causing bad circulation, and weight gain is from lack of insulin being produced. Anyway, I need to lose 50, instead of 40 lbs now. I’m not surprised. I knew my risks, and took them, and ignored things. Fair enough. She says it might explain my increasingly lack of energy, and recent brain fog. I’m looking forward to losing weight and hopefully some increased energy. I used to go go go all the time. Accomplishing a lot. Now it’s tough to cut the grass, without a couple breaks. Hoping for the best. Going to try my best. I have to admit, despite how long it took, I’m surprised at how fast it recently progressed. Started about 10 yrs ago. Last 3-4 yrs. symptoms of poor circulation have gotten worse. Anyway, take your healthy food along. Keep the good habits. It’s all about habits. Mine have finally caught up with Me. They’re hard to change. As for myself, time will tell. Meanwhile I’m looking for helpful information. Good thread. Thanks to everyone, for the realistic ideas.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Yea i miss little debbie snack cakes. Still grab donut sticks once in a great while. I been playing around with different versions of ndk or bullet proof coffee. It's ok i guess.

Bizzarrogeorge and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    It's not for everyone so you'll have to be your own judge. But check out the healthy tribe site with kevin Rutherford. Or also letstruck.com. ya can listen to the destination health podcasts on Wednesdays. It's free to listen or call with questions about diet change an clean eating. I here stories of people on there all the time that reverse diabetes an various medical issues by just diet change an moderate exercise an such. I say it's not for everyone because it really is a completely different approach to eating than what standard doctors an society has convinced us is normal. Good luck to ya. By the way for the neuropathy thing a functional medical chiropractor put me on what's called anodyne therapy. It's a infared red light device that goes on my legs an feet a half hour at a time. Also i use a rebuilder that is electrical pulse therapy for rebuilding nerves or they're function. They both help reduce pain an aches in your legs.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I saw the infrared thing. My leg and hip problems may be from back problems. It sometimes goes away. New seats been helping, a lot. Still not sure. Cardiologist says it’s PAD pherephrial Artery disease. Caused from smoking. Maybe denial, but still suspect spinal stenosis or some type of pinched nerve. It’s all guessing on my part. I honestly have just been trying to avoid another operation, or diagnosis of anything, unless it’s causing excruciating pain. I’ll look into the infrared thing. Thanks.

8. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Change doughnut to taco, and I'm with you. Speaking of doughnuts...ever try a fasnacht? If not, try one if you ever find yourself in Amish country. When we go visit family up near Lancaster, PA, the wife makes sure to pick up a dozen or so. She has some little old lady she goes to. Lol. Cracks me up, but she swears their a #### good doughnut. I wouldn't know, she never lets me try one. :(

Here's a PA Dutch Fasnacht
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She get's doughnuts, I get tacos. All in Pa. LOL. There's a guy in a farmers market up there with some great tacos. Same place has the lady with the doughnuts. Everyone is happy. She gets her dozen doughnuts for the road, and I get a dozen tacos for breakfast. Win!

Far as eating healthy goes with your trainer... like @F4T6UY said, be reasonable and one would think it wouldn't be an issue. If they won't allow a big ### cooler, get one of those little ones. Can store some fruit or whatever in it if that's your thing, and it's tiny like a lunch box. Or as others said a backpack with some healthy snacks. Worse case, you tough it out till your done training, and then do as you wish. Eat healthy where and when you can. Don't just assume there will be something at the next stop, and wish you had bought that Kind bar/whatever back at the last fuel stop.

I don't mind folks who choose to follow a healthy diet. I do mind people who feel the need to preach to me about it all the time. If you see me eating a taco, I really don't want to hear about how bad it is for me and how great chomping on Barley and grass is. If I wanted a personal trainer, I'd hire one. ;) One would think a reasonable trainer wouldn't force you to eat at McDonalds every day. But on the flip side, you can't expect them to just cater to you when it comes to food.

By the way, tacos have a reputation for being bad for you. I say, this is a lie my friends! Even a vegan can enjoy a taco! Might take some work but they could! Fruit tacos? It's a thing! Tofu taco? We got you! Goat, fish, fruit, veggies, beef, pork, poultry, you name it, you can put it in a taco!

Try that with a doughnut. :p

Sirscrapntruckalot -
    [​IMG]

9. Bizzarrogeorge

Jun 18, 2022
    For sure Type II is no joke. My brother lost his leg years ago due to it, and he wasn't diagnosed until his foot got to the point of no return. We were both reluctant to see doctors, but not anymore.

You are on the right track talking about your late Mother's success with the Mediterranean diet. When I had my health problems, one of which was being pre-diàbetic, one of the first eating changes I did was pulling foods from the list of traditional Mediterranean staples. I began losing weight, but I was still pre-diàbetic after 3 months of this.

Frustrated, I asked my primary care for a prescription for a glucose monitor. That's when it all turned around for the better. The next couple of months, I measured my levels prior to eating, after eating, and at random times. 4 readings each day, always a different meal and 2 randoms.

I used a free app and logged what ingredients and measurements that made each meal. A bit annoying, but necessary to figure out what was triggering high blood sugar in my body.

I responded to my findings and started scaling back portions of some of the Mediterranean food items until I would consistently be able to have those in a meal and maintain normal levels. My goal was to control without diabetes meds, not to beat diabetes. I assumed I was just going to get it anyway.

After streamlining my ingredients and portions, and getting normal a1c test results, endocrinologist told me I had beaten it, with the caveat of "but you must continue all these new habits, diet, exercise, or you can be right back to where you started, or worse."

I looked at the DASH diet,(dietary approach to stop hypertension) which is very similar the Mediterranean diet, but allows for some regular foods that we eat in our country, but in moderation. I realised that I had actually been on the DASH diet this whole time, which makes sense because I never once made a single recipe. Every meal was just pulling stuff from the list and mixing all together into a heavy veggie and lean protein meal, topped with either avacado or EVOO and vinegar. The non Mediterranean stuff were protein bars and shakes for recovering from multiple surgeries, and other miscellaneous items that is DASH friendly but not consumed by people in Mediterranean region. A single whole wheat grilled chicken soft taco with veggies and sour cream occasionally would be an example, or say a slice of pizza with a salad every couple months would be another example.

DASH is very close to Med, but IMHO is more flexible because I still don't use recipes, and I'm not getting stressed looking for odd speciality foods of the Mediterranean in Walmart. I'm just eating a mix of leafy greens, whatever other veggies are on hand, some sort of lean protein, be it animal or plant, spices, EVOO +vinegar. Snacks are made up of fruits, seeds, nuts, veggies, protein bars or shakes. I always opt for no sodium first, low sodium second , and full sodium very rarely, like say that single slice of pizza every few months, or that healthy-ish lean cut of steak from a restaurant that you know is loaded with sodium would be examples.

FWIW, I also quit smoking and drinking at the same time, and haven't looked back, but it is significant in it's effect on blood sugar and other health issues.

TLDR- You may have great results trying the Mediterranean diet as your mother demonstrated to you, and maybe check out the DASH diet, which is similar but IMHO a bit more adaptable to the American choices of foods that we're used to, and has really helped me beat diabetes

10. Bizzarrogeorge

Jun 18, 2022
    I agree! Tacos are sent to us mere mortals from the gods themselves! I've actually tried a spicy grilled chicken taco with lettuce, pico de Gallo, scallions, and strawberries, and it was great! Back in the day I had a conveyor belt set up in front of my mouth and an endless stream of tacos would come down the line!

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    A fast what? :eek:

A fridge and a galanz 3 in 1 will help you eat healthy in the truck. TL:DR so I don't know if you can have a fridge. If not. A good cooler and ice.

The galanz is a microwave/Air fryer/oven. All in one. Pick up the round aluminum pans at Walmart. They come 3 for a little over a dollar. Paper plates and plastic utensils. Then just cook in your truck. Like you would at home. Clean up is easy. Can also use a crock pot with liners. Though the downside of that is smelling it cook all day. While you are driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.