Explain like I'm five the 10 hour break rule in the sleeper?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A friend and I were laughing at how silly this crap was this morning. Then he stopped and told me something. He said well if you have to go to line 1 when you go potty does it stand to reason that everytime you step into the sleeper you must be on line 2? So this would mean if a cop see"s you enter a sleeper even if your on line 3 you can get a logbook ticket if you don't go into your elogs and log the change of status? Friends that's a lot of logging going on.

bottomdumpin and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    ELDs make it simple because they do all the calculations vs paper. So as a driver you don't have waste time figuring out all the numbers and hope you don't make a mistake. That's why today I don't mind logging everything I do.

Something people don't talk about, when I was learning how to log. They actually were teaching you how to work the log book. They would tell use to always log Sleeper Berth because it was legal. They always talked about trip planning. If you can trip plan.

I remember them teaching use how to trip plan. They had use figure out a cross country trip on paper log books. We had to figure everything out including fuel stops and were we would stop for the night. Nobody in the class got that right. If you can trip plan you can also do a trip plan backwards. Their just not much need for that today with ELDs. I think people talk about logs forget you don't need to backwards trip plan today. Their no reason log 10 hour sleeper today. You can log sleeper and log Off Duty just pushing a button. Keep it simple today.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    and you hand him 5 eld,s

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The bottom line to all of this goes back to drivers choice. Log how you want to log that off duty time. However to answer the OPs main question you can log the entire 10 hours in the sleeper. It is not a rule violation to exit the sleeper during the 10. Going back to the guide just posted. They really are more concerned that you don't do anything to cause you to be on duty. That breaks the 10.

6. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Log it off duty cause that's what it is. It can be in the sleeper birth.
    The people who tell you to switch back and forth in your book .well that IS on duty time [making a duty status change] so you will never get 10 off. Now there are people who are going to say under 5 min or something does't matter.
    If you are doing 8 and 2 split is the only time sleeper birth is mandatory

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have spoken to several drivers that have told me they do just that. Never logged sleeper berth. Further they go on to say it is not anyone's business where or how I spend that 10 hours not driving. The only exception is in a team operation. Logging off duty and not sleeper might get questioned by a DOT officer.

I am not sure about the part about having to be on duty to do a status change. If you were considered to be on duty to log how can a person log their home time? In the paper days you were required to do a 24 hour off duty log for those days you did not drive. On this point I'm going to need to see it in the FMCSA website to agree with you.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I trip plan around 30 mph average. In a few moments adding 20% to whatever miles spouted by dispatcher and time divided against the appt time I can tell boss if I am going to make it or not.

The fleets usually check the trucks in the night that should have met the 45 mph average with enough in favor of not being late. There is a list of late ones generated at 6 am. For some thats the last day of work.

A few times in team driving FFE asked if we would make it to LA from Avenel NJ having 10 minutes to spare or are we going to be late. Faced with US 1's 40 miles (It seems...) worth of stop lights I told them we will find out.

We made LA with 4 minutes to spare. And that was with a 63 mph truck and skipping two fuel stops. The first was in Little Rock and she was dry, the second was in Holbrook and barely. Normally we didnt skip fuel stops. But that was something that needed to be taking a chance on.

That also turned out to be our last run of that kind with FFE. They put us back onto chasing late solos again.

9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I'm not sure what this means but when i did part time [semi retired] I would just make 1 page for all the days I was off. I just put in remarks actual dates and times not worked. EG Off duty from jan 1 2018 to april 30 2018. inc. Not a page for every day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yes you could do multi day logs I did this a lot over the years. My point was however if you have to be on duty to log how can you do these logs? Now that you brought up these multi day logs having to flag at least some time on duty to log that day means you can no longer do this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.