Exposing log book tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Jan 1, 2008.

1. slabrunner

slabrunner Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Muskegon, MI
    Interesting discussion. How is it that heavy equipment operators that apply their skills to moving freight on long hauls are classified as unskilled laborers and not entitled to hourly pay for all their work and for overtime? The injustice reeks to high heaven. If the costs to consumers went up a bit perhaps some of the consumer piggies I see at Walmart with carts loaded to the brim w/ high calory garbage would have to curtail their gluttony and the cost of health care might come down a bit as well. It's no wonder many of the drivers I talk to are cynical and depressed from time to time w/ this state of affairs.

strat57 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    If you watched bottom feeder trainees you'd know why they are classified as unskilled labor .
    Many experienced professionals get paid for all work done and have no complaints .

slabrunner Thanks this.
  4. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    It is one of the dirty little secrets in this industry. In order to get "experience" behind the wheel newbies are pretty limited in their choices of employment.

I remember being fresh out of truck driving school back in January of 1991 calling trucking companies within 100 miles of my home in Belfast Maine. Each time I got the same answer; "sorry we do not hire drivers with less than 2 years of experience."

After being unemployed for 5 weeks I signed on with JB Hunt. It was quite an eye opening experience considering prior to working at JB I had never been further than Massachusetts.

The best jobs out there do in fact compensate their drivers for all their time on the job. Wal Mart, Frito Lay, Union ltl carriers, Sherwin Williams, Sygma, Martin Brower, etc are all examples of reputable companies that pay their drivers well.

Of course with some of the grocery or supply delivery outfits the driver will have to handle freight but it is a trade off for being home daily. Get the right gig and a driver can stay in shape as well as make a respectable living with benefits.

The key is to first get some experience. Use these so called bottom feeders as a stepping stone. Hone your skills on their equipment and then transfer your skills to a better carrier as soon as you are able.

AfterShock, slabrunner and strat57 Thank this.
  5. Don't forget if you over do it you'll end with rules llike we got.

6. SHEETMAN2002

SHEETMAN2002 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2011
    should not be limited to certain amount of hours. i use to work a day driving job i got up at 4:30 am to be at work at 6:30 am work driving til 6 - 8 pm then 1hour home, eat, shower, see family watch tv. go to bed at 11 -12. back up at 4:30

work day 4:30 til say 11 pm = 18.5 hours a day and driving truck!!
    because the 11 and 14 hour rules apply from the time your feet hit the floor til the time you go to sleep 11 14 hours.

if limits need to apply they need to move them up 14 - 16 then 10 hours off. as grown adults we dont need our crappy gov telling us how long to work or drive. there is no limit to the non professional driver. we can decide for ourselfs when we get tired and need to stop for the day.

7. SHEETMAN2002

SHEETMAN2002 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2011
    :biggrin_25516:should not be limited to certain amount of hours. i use to work a day driving job i got up at 4:30 am to be at work at 6:30 am work driving til 6 - 8 pm then 1hour home, eat, shower, see family watch tv. go to bed at 11 -12. back up at 4:30

work day 4:30 til say 11 pm = 18.5 hours a day and driving truck!!
    because the 11 and 14 hour rules apply from the time your feet hit the floor til the time you go to sleep 11 14 hours.

if limits need to apply they need to move them up 14 - 16 then 10 hours off. as grown adults we dont need our crappy gov telling us how long to work or drive. there is no limit to the non professional driver. we can decide for ourselfs when we get tired and need to stop for the day.:biggrin_255:

8. jlkklj777

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

The current regs limit "driving" to 11 hours within a 14 hour time frame. There is no prohibition against "working" at all. In essence you could work a dock 24 hours per day every day (provided you did not try to "drive" a cmv afterward) and you would not be in violation.

formertaxidriver Thanks this.
  9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    not just bottom feeder trainees classified that way. Truck drivers period are considered unskilled labor by the industry.

In some rare examples ( in my career ) was I considered skilled by the company only because I was trained to blend, site survey and repair my delivery site and the support equipment. It still didn't keep them from eventually taking my overtime because I was a truck driver.

Something is wrong when you start with a co. and you make "X" in year one...... 6 years later you make less. ( annual gross ) And they wondered why I left.

10. airlineguy

airlineguy Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Alaska, USA
    I realize that I'm new here...and I'm certainly not trying to stir up a hornet's nest...

In trucking the DOT is quite bit like the the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) is in aviation. They set all kinds of rules for how long we can work in a day and a month. Once our hours are done for the month, we are done. There is no reset. There is also zero opportunity for us to fudge logbooks and work more.

Why should they get to be the judge? Because when safety is on the line and people can earn more money by being potentially less safe...they will take risks.

From what I can tell, many trucking companies would be (and are) glad to cut corners on maintenance because they make more money that way. Without oversight, they are happy to compromise safety for profit.
    And unfortunately, many of us (whether we fly a plane or drive a truck) would be willing to do that same.

Please note that none of this precludes the fact that I am paid hourly for my work. And that YOU should be paid hourly for your work too!!

bobobrazil and formertaxidriver Thank this.
  11. jlkklj777

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Lets be clear here. The current Hours of service regs restrict "DRIVING" for CMV drivers. We are exempt from the federal minimum wage standard and are classified as "unskilled laborers." There is no prohibition against "working."

Many people get confused about the difference between "work" and driving. Work could include loading/unloading trailers, fueling trucks, working as a yard jockey on private property, working in an office, etc. The key is not to DRIVE until you have your mandatory 10 hour break and are in compliance with the 60/7 day or 70/8 day rule.

Comparing aviation to trucking is like comparing apples to oranges. Once you get beyond the fact that both vehicles "transport" things there is very little comparable.

The one thing I do agree with concerning your comment; I believe we should be compensated for all the time and duties required to perform our job.

Part of the reason for this thread was to expose the rampant violations that can (and do) happen every day in this industry in a very public forum. There are changes coming to pass. I am reasonably sure EOBR's will become mandatory within my lifetime as well as a change in the labor laws that will shake up the entire industry.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.