Extended warranty on new truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Bought a new 680 in December. Got the Cummins 5yr 500k with towing like was suggested above. Kept with the factory KW warranties on the truck itself. Will prob run it 4 yrs 400k and repeat. No more then 450 to 500k max.

Buying another next month and will do the same. If you buy used with a Cummins get the factory encore 2 warranty. Any of the 3rd party ones are a rip off and joke.

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    If I bought 10 trucks, I'd pass on the warranty and self insure. Since I bought only one, I bought the warranty.

For the small business, risk is binary. Throw a cam or a major after treatment issue, and you're in the hole pretty deep.

4. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    With all due respect (truly)... this is not a good idea. I feel very greatful that I’m finally in a position to buy new trucks and out factory warranty on them. No warranty put me back in very big ways.

If you think 1 truck needing a major repair is bad, try having 2 or 3 back to back or who know even worse? Just because you run 10 vs 1 all the same risks are there. I would venture to say even more risk because the more your running the odds go up you’ll have a problem. Not to mention overhead like a building to run out of, office and accounting staff, etc.

PE_T, TruckRunner and SteveScott Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Ever heard of more money more problems?

More trucks more problems.

Sometimes it can also be more money but the only guarantee you have is the more problems part! lol

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    They make alot of money selling warranties. Why would they take on that "big" risk for you. Oh yeah, you pay thousands up front.

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I always get the Detroit Extended Warranty. Not cheap. On this truck it’s been in the shop for about six days total in two years. At current shop rates that’s about $7200 worth of labour alone. So I’m almost even and still have three years to go.
    Another truck, they replaced an entire engine. Took 10 days, but they never charged me a dime for it.
    For about $6,500 I could have gotten a five year bumper to bumper warranty on the truck from Freightliner that covered absolutely everything else not covered by powertrain, eg. Brake pots, lights, yes electrical. But on other trucks I figured I didn’t spend that much to get my monies worth.

PE_T, TruckRunner and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  8. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    My Volvo rarely turned over 1250 rpm. Not much risk in hurting anything for a while. They know the longevity.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    My 13 Volvo I bought the big warranty, covered EVERYTHING engine sensors wiring etc... 4 years almost 800km. One set if ac lines to the bunk.

10. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    The gray one in Joplin?

11. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    No this is in Dallas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.