Eye see you, not

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by War-Eagle, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I call bs he didn’t know he hit the bike.. they raised their hands high

Opus, tinytim, War-Eagle and 2 others Thank this.
  3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I can believe that he didn't see him easy enough, hell how many times have somebody pulled out in front of a semi they didn't see.
    That is one lucky sucker on the bike though.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Bikers fault. I ride my bicycle almost every day and just like riding a motorcycle, you have to watch out for them. I've had cars do that to me, you just can't be seen, especially in a truck. I see someone like that nosing out into traffic, I go around the back side of them. One thing for sure, that guy almost got his legs crushed and surely won't do THAT again. I think the bike is fried. Obviously, the truck got away, probably never knew anything happened, I wonder how that would play out in court? Bikers, like pedestrians have the right of way, ( sometimes dead right) but how could the driver have seen them? That almost happened to me in a small town in Indiana once. I had a cabover Transtar, 1st at a light, light turns green, I let the clutch out, here comes some kid on a bike trying to make it. I saw her, but that was a close one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Bud A., 86scotty, War-Eagle and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Going by the condition of the truck, its not the first time the driver didn't see something.

Opus, sevenmph, magoo68 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well at least 2 things..

1) the bicyclist should NOT have kept going, since he/she could PLAINLY SEE the truck coming out

2) the biker tried stopping the truck with his/her arm....

i too have seen MANY ignorant cyclists just where i live..they ride in the bike lanes in the street. however, they disregard the rules of the road. running stop signs, making illegal turns on red, etc.

i think that a high percentage of the fault lays on the cyclists.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Reason for edit: spelling
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    People have taken into account that pedestrians have right of way instead of look before crossing. That said, the driver kept going. What a loser

War-Eagle, JonJon78 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've found, bike riders fall into kind of a gray area. They aren't motorized, yet share the world with traffic. They are subject to the rules of the road but are rarely used. I really don't blame the driver too much, it looked like a busy area and that Suburban cut right in front of the truck, so their attention was I'm sure on that, I say the driver never looked in the mirror and never knew it. Still, with the common hatred for trucks today, especially here, "The Strong Arm" would have gotten millions for the biker.

War-Eagle, NavigatorWife and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Cyclists and pedestrians shouldn't have the right of way for the simple the biggest always wins the collision. Simply it would just be safer to change the law.

Where I live its supposedly really scenic so there's a lot of cyclists and they act like the own the road, don't care if a car is coming, or the stop sign, etc. So I don't have a liking to the average cyclist.

Bud A., mjd4277, sirjeff and 5 others Thank this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

When I had a motorcycle in college I was riding along a major road beach-side near Daytona, FL. There was a man standing in the raised median between northbound and southbound lanes looking at traffic approaching. It looked like he was waiting to "jaywalk" from his hotel behind him to the shopping center across the street. I MADE eye contact with him and he waited as I approached him at the speed limit and then he stepped off the curb directly in front of me when I was maybe 5 feet from him. I locked up the motorcycle brakes. By some miracle, not skill, the bike swerved and stayed right side up and we somehow didn't run into each other.

Assume people are idiots. Then assume they are even dumber than that and expect them to do the worst thing at the worst time. Have a plan for that. All of the above happened before cellphones.

Bud A., mitrucker, mjd4277 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.