F2F Transport / Farm2Fleet: My story with no happy end...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mp4694330, Jun 9, 2016.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I never keep up with F2F.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thegasman

Thegasman Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I was never interested in his company. Read my post again. I read plenty of posts about f2f and I read a lot of what Bill had to say. His personality was like a blinking red light to me. Luckily for me I've always been able to be a good judge of people's personalities. I can tell right away if I want to do business with that person or not.

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    Lol, then you asked a strange question. So you don't have any idea about any of this?

5. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    If you have any customers you want to keep, you better re-think that idea. Lots of co-op members would be glad to go behind your back and cut your rates

6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    When I can't cover loads for customers that I am obligated to cover, I'll have one of my friends cover it and I pay them directly upon receipt of paperwork. They get paid faster, don't have to do billing nor deal directly with my customer. Goes the same way if I cover a load for them.

Co- op sounds like a good idea for a customer that needs a large amount of loads covered.

Say you have 10 guys in the co-op: throughout the year you may have 3/4 customers that run seasonal products in volume quantity. That would be an ideal setup for a co-op in my opinion. Have one guy that handles each of those customers and organized carriers to cover..
    Except that favoritism, nepotism and greed will always be human traits.

The way I do it isn't the only way to do it.

The way I do it won't work for everyone.

The way I do it works for me, my customers, and my friends.

If I have a high volume customer, I take what works for me, and talk up the guys that are good and put them in touch. No sense putting my "toes in the water" if I'm not gonna jump in and straight up broker the stuff.

LoudOne, Logan76, old iron and 4 others Thank this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    That is one way we were thinking about and leaning towards. We were also thinking about the co-op buying and owning any specialty trailers that we would use.

The key that I have found up here that allows you to stay more localized is to have a variety of trailer types.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yup, locally here you need 3-4 different types of trailers to try to stay busy year round......

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Nope

10. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    I've been doing that lately with a friend, taking his smaller loads that he would normally not do. His customers are happy & I'm happy. If you need another regional carrier for your co-op.......

The biggest problem I've had doing this is with the customers. Example/metaphor: if I need 8 drive tires I want to go to one place and write one check, not 8 vendors and 8 checks for 8 tires.

11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I think it could work well, cowhaulers have been doing an informal deal like that for a long time. One guy deals with the customer, collects all the money, and pays all the trucks for a nominal fee. Better be with people you know and trust in the informal arrangement.

wore out, RGN and cnsper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.