Factoring Companies-worth it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by chrissan, Jun 24, 2021.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If it is a choice... which is the choice I don't understand. I better understand long hoods, chrome and 75 + mph on an open road.
    I also understand some useful aspects or factoring but if someone has enough funds in checking account and still factors, that part I don't. Paperwork and invoicing with relation to a solo o/o as the only reason is too lame imo. It does not take that much effort, understanding, time nor discomfort . I do understand, however, that in different life situations having 15K-20K in the bank may not be such an obvious thing but then this is not a choice. As I said earlier, in case brokers take longer to pay than 30-60 days, or the brokers are known for practicing targeted delays then the factoring makes more sense too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    To your other post yes i read all the comments, like this gem right here. Thank you for the entertainment

God prefers Diesels and dztruck Thank this.
  4. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I'm on my second year factoring with Loves and it's worth it to me for them to deal with all of the BS that neither myself or my wife currently have time for.

In the future, maybe I'll rethink it but for now it's a great help for us.

Artax and dztruck Thank this.
  5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Why can’t I achieve those goals WITHOUT factoring my invoices? That seems like a much more stable business practice than giving away 2 to 6 percent of the gross revenue?

xsetra and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    You can. I was seriously against factoring, but just recently hooked up with Truckstop.com factoring. Keep in mind, I have the same mindset as you, so why would I do that? Because there were loads I was consistently interested in, but just didn't trust the brokerage. Now I can dump that liability on the factoring company. It's no longer my problem. I give up 2.99% on those loads, but I still end up money ahead. And best of all, I'm now no longer restricted because of my own paranoia. I can book loads with anyone I want that's "factorable", and I don't have to worry about getting paid. It's non-recourse. So there is a silver lining to this dark cloud.

7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    No recourse factoring for %2.99? After you factor a customer can you stop factoring that customer?

My guess is they can still come after you if they don’t pay? No recourse factoring is usual 2x as expensive.

Siinman and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    No. Contact Truckstop.com. It's the same people that run ITS load board. It's non-recourse, and 2.99%. The only times they don't pay is when the invoice is being actively disputed. I've used them on a few loads so far, and it's nearly immediate. I'll factor the load, and it's paid 30 minutes later.

It's also "rainy day factoring". Meaning they have no access to your AP, and you can factor loads as you see fit. I spent over an hour on the phone grilling the rep before I decided to dip my toes in the water. Even then, I took a local short load, and even took a fuel advance on that load just to see how it all worked.

Now they do charge $500 to break the contract. But that goes away after you factor $20k in loads. I asked what happens if instead of terminating the contract, I just never use them again. They said nothing happens. But after so many months, if you decide to factor a load, they might need updated info from you.

Not gonna lie, I couldn't find a downside. Because in the end, I was pulling freight I never would have touched before, because of them. I still work with my "normal" brokers as I always have. But they really open up opportunities. If I looked at a brokers pay trend, and there was so much a "blip" away from normal, I'd be too paranoid to haul for them. Truckstop.com takes that paranoia away, because it's not my problem anymore. I threw everything bad I knew about factoring at them, and they answered every question. In the end, I was satisfied, and it's actually paid off.

Look at Meadowlark as an example. They have some really good paying loads now and then. Right now, they're a pretty rock-solid 30 days to pay. But not too long ago, they were dipping into 45 days if my memory serves me. So no way in Hell would I chance them. Since Truckstop.com, I've hauled two loads for them and it all went off without a hitch. Long miles and almost four bucks a mile that I would have missed out on because I didn't trust them.

I look at Truckstop factoring as just another tool in my toolbox.

xsetra Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Brokers that are late on the payment, I file on the bond. Takes 10- 30 minutes its easy and I get paid quick.

I understand the reasons people have to use Factoring. I factored several years ago. It just wasn't worth the price when I look back. At the time I thought it was.
    I guess the more tools one has the better. Factoring is a shovel that may help a business dig a deeper hole.

10. kakoide92

kakoide92 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2021
    Hello,
    What you do reccommend for factoring now? I am thinking about truckstop, can you advise? Thank you

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not the best guy to answer it here.
    I don't factor and never have. I was set up with Truckstop.com factoring in case I should have but it never came as needed so I can't tell you how well they are in practice. I choose them because they contract agreement was plain and simple. I think it was 2.75% and non recourse, no escrow, no minimum, no need to surrender all of your customers/brokers, there was some termination fee but I technically never terminated with them - because I never used them and due to inactivity they suspended my account after 3 or 6 months. If I were to factor for real, I would go with them or consider Triumph - as long as it is still working with DAT load board.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.