factoring the weight of fuel and you.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by slatherd, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, dumb question here: Don't the tank heaters keep the fuel from gellin even in subzero weather? Or don't you have tank heaters?

I've got a few years of trucking under my belt, but I've never had to run midwest or up north in really cold weather. I've been around zero many times, but to my knowledge never much below that for any length of time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

As long as the truck is running and has tank heaters. I'm sure the damage was done in Burky's truck when it was shut off.

Besides Howes is very cheap insurance regardless!!! And it does other good for the engine besides just the anti gel. With today's ULSD it adds lubricity back into the fuel.

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    many of the newer trucks don't have fuel heaters anymore. they use the fuel to cool the injectors so the fuel returning to the tank is hot. The switch on the dash for fuel heater is actually a fuel filter heater. the only real fuel heaters have valves on the motor that need to be turned on just like the heater core. Older mechanical motors need these as the returning fuel is cold.

I've have many many loads, in fact the majority of my loads when I was running produce were so heavy I could only take on 50 or 100 gallons of fuel.

5. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Summer blend diesel weighs 6.9 lbs to the gallon. Winter blend diesel weights 7.2 lbs to the gallon.

Mark

6. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    I am out of the game, now. I was out there when weigh-in-motion scales were installed. Before that, some scales consisted of four platforms that could be totaled for the gross. The driver was instructed to "split the tandems". Most of us had to almost stand up to see the crack between the two drive axle scales in our mirror. When the drive axles were split correctly, the steer axle and the trailer were in place on platforms of their own. You can imagine what a back-up this would cause with today's truck traffic.

7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Thanks for the info both Brickman and MedicineMan.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.