Failed CDL due to Blood Sugar Levels... What do we do???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by TexasTruckerWife, May 27, 2015.

1. TexasTruckerWife

TexasTruckerWife Bobtail Member

May 27, 2015
    My husband failed his physical due to his blood sugar levels. He is .1 above the max... His Physical card expires on June 2... what do we do? What can we do? Who should we talk to??

HELP!!

I'm can't work due to a disability... we rely completely on his job to live. What are our options?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    What level? A1C or Blood glucose level?

4. TexasTruckerWife

May 27, 2015
    A1C... he was off by .1

5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    exercise and cut out most carbs and all sugar,,there are meds that will lower blood sugar..see a doctor,,other option is to apply for SS disability take over a year to get the first check.
    loose weight,,exercise and cut out sugar and I'll bet his blood sugar levels go down,,

6. TexasTruckerWife

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for that Wheelbase. We're looking for info on what to do to keep his license... I'm having a hard time finding info online about what our options are regarding getting his physical/medical card renewed.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Put down the krispy kreme doughnuts. lol
    Like the other poster stated, change his diet and it will lower his sugar level.

8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    how about just do a retest of the a1c. I take blood sugar meds, take a1c thru my doc, but never had to have one for a dot physical, is he on meds like metformin?

but an a1c is a 90 day avg of sugar levels, that change in diet wont have much effect by june 2

9. TexasTruckerWife

May 27, 2015
    He is on medication for it. I don't know if retaking the test this soon will resolve what we need it too... its supposed to average 3 months. The one he failed was taken less than a week ago.

10. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Eat like a rabbit, walk and walk some more. Go and retest on the 1st, you should be able to bring it down a tenth or two. They would most likely (if he passes) give him a short term card 3 or six months and have him retest then. So he needs to keep it under control always. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Thank more government.

11. TexasTruckerWife

May 27, 2015
    Thank you for the helpful info!! DO you know how we would go about applying for a short term card??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.