Failed DOT physical. Can I try a new doctor

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by foofy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Mengel

Mengel Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2018

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You would be surprised at a range of invasive checks that are possible in the reproductive system of both men and women and its.

Find a Doctor anywhere. You don't have to like the new doc, but if they are civil and do what the long form requires properly there should be no problem

The only time doctor shopping is a real red flag is for those who are pain patients unable to stay on the strict 30 day doseage. That would be grounds to elimiate patient from the legal pain control medically and introduce same to a world of illegal drugs that are much cheaper and pack a wallop To cure the withdrawals. Until a bad batch with fentanyal kills them. A few grains of that drug in table salt form is enough to kill a herd of horses.

I tried to be brevity and I figure a explaination of doctor shopping and it's implications seperate from a simple DOT Medical Long Forn examination.

Heavy's DOT medical exam would be relatively simple.

Let's see your coffee cup. Pours out coffee to see if excessive sugar is in the bottom. Sniffs for spoiled cream to see about any potential fevers or infections. Have the candidate squeeze the blood pressure machine one time. Such a strong grip from decades of fighting old iron would result in a reasonable BP reading. Hypertension could be confirmed or denied depending on how the candidate reacted to the wife incessantly reminding him to flush the toilet and put the seat down. (An explosion of anger is too high Hypertension) Finally a simple task of counting out numbers followed by making sure that they can snap the buttons on the jacket shut and tie shoes without help from wife tells me they can handle themselves physically. Followed by a 15 minute wait in the office with a clock that runs 1 hour in 5 minutes. If I hear snoring then there is a problem with daytime sleepiness and issue a one year card. Otherwise it's a two year card. =)

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I had a dr ask me to do 10 squats for my DOT once.
    I asked him to show me in the regs where it was required, he said he didn’t have to show me.
    I told him I didn’t have to pay him and left.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    I'm am so upset. I passed my D.O.T. Physical. I've had my License since 1984. Been driving off and on. The first man that I spoke to at Emergency One that I paid my $125.00 and passed. They wanted me to get a letter from my PCP doctor, and my Psychiatrist. They both cleared me. I had to go back to my P.C.P. Doctors. Which I'm on medications due to my back and neck. But am capable of driving. I went back twice and the last time. My P.C.P doctor put down that I will not take any kinds of medication 13 hours prior to driving a Bus. I take the same medication that I took many years ago, but different milligrams. I was only going to work part time hours. Well the nurse that I finally seen today. Made her judgment call that she felt that I don't need my card and she was uncomfortable giving it to me. I said even after my doctor's both gave clearance saying that I'm capable of driving a Bus, and that my medications will not be taken just as they said on their paperwork. 13 hours prior to driving. This woman just took my career life away from me. I'm so crushed as I'm texting this. I asked her why are you doing this to me. I complied with all that you asked from me. And passed my D.O.T. Physical. Only the medication was the issues with this Examiner. Can I take this over her head?? And am I going to loose my CDL license because of this woman. I need money to work. And my medications had never had me in any kinds of accidents. This was her call too. The same medication that I've been on for many years. And who is she to judge me. When my doctor reassured her that I wouldn't take no medication prior to driving 13 hours.

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    What kind of medication?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    WHAT. Medicine?

If it's Xanax or bigger Mental Health Related no wonder she pulled your DOT card.

Sometimes it's better to have nothing at all in your system. Either that or you are truly unable to medically drive, thus disabled.

I doubt that DOT doctor got up this morning to take away your livelihood. What I would prefer you to consider is your health needs attention. Preferably no medicine to be stable and earning on the road. You can have GOD sign off your papers branded in blazing Gold and shining rainment, but if the DOT doctor chooses not to issue a card, well.. That's that. You aint getting it from that one.

There is no going over head. There is however doctor shopping for which you might get into a little bit of difficulty trying to get something that is medically not yours to have for right now. Until you fix this.

Im pretty sure you are a awesome bus driver. But I would prefer you to not have any issues or medicines at all. If you liked driving them so much, there is no real stress is there? Hmmmm?

9. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    When I did my test. Their were no other meds in my system but Xanax. The other one I take when in severe pain and mostly at night so there's no conflicts there.

10. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    When I did my physical I-Pass got any medication that was in my urine was Xanax my other medication I don't take like that only when I'm in severe pain and that's usually at night. And I wasn't going to work a full-time position I was going to work nights part time and it was doing Charters not children.

11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I visited my last walk in clinic up in Searcy last month. They have literally no diagnosing machinery, hardly any labs other than quick flu kids and a assortment of 50's era steroid shots and a couple of doses of older style big shots for colds and so on on hand. Nothing else. No wonder that waiting room was empty. The fact they are tied to a regional hospital a block away is just a paper tiger. I ended up returning formally to the ER a few hours later as the flare up continued. That will be one bill that is a wasted spun money, but it's going to be paid like the rest.

Ive bypassed those walk ins and go straight to the ER when the situation gets acute enough to require attention from Triage in a timely manner.

12. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    I feel that we both got a bias Examiner. There are other drivers that I've been around that a worst off of medications we are truthfully

13. Antonia

Antonia Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Dutchess County NY
    I was actually on stronger medication years ago this time around I'm taking less medications my psychiatrist cleared me and my primary care doctor cleared me and according to emergency one as long as the paper was written out the way they put it. No medication will be given 13 hours prior to drive in I was cleared and actually I do feel that nurse or examiner was biased towards me I've been driving since 1984 without any accidents or issues things change the older you get but doesn't mean that you're incompetent or uncapable of driving because of your medications everybody's uncertain medication who am I to judge anyone as long as the performances is great and they can prove otherwise I feel you shouldn't be biased towards anyone

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs