Failed final DMV test :|

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    I finally had my final DMV drive test yesterday 7-18-18. Passed the Pre Trip, the straight line back, offset right back, but failed the driver side parallel park. I could not not believe it, I feel kind of embarrassed and angry.

I attended one of those low cost trucking schools where you get very little practice time in the truck, so I have maybe practiced doing the parallel parking 5 times total. I could not remember during the test if I line up the wheels with the end of the parking space, or the back of the trailer. I chose the wheels and failed. I should note I had not slept in 24 hours, I had waited at the DMV for 4 hours before it was my turn, it was 100F out and I was drenched in sweat. Yeah yeah, excuses.

Anyway, the next available DMV test is 6 weeks away at this location, yes 6 weeks. I watched a prev video where a trucker also said he failed the DMV drive test but was scheduled to go back the very next day, 4 years ago at the same location.

I am thinking of calling other trucking schools around the state, asking them what their DMV wait times are, asking if I can pay them a partial school fee for some practice classes on their lot and to use their truck at the DMV test. I am willing to go even hundreds of miles for here in order not to have to wait 6 weeks. I would stay at a hotel for a few days. Is this a good idea, what do you think?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ok, now I know why I need to tour all the schools in my area. The one I toured said they'd give me as much practice as I thought I needed. I think I'd have to go back in and raise some caine til they give you the help you paid for.
    Another thought is, do you know anyone with a truck that could let you borrow it to test? I'm betting the dmv has a closer available test appt.

4. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    5 times is not enough to learn how to park parallel. Good luck on your next time and make sure you het enough sleep before testing.

Maybe this video can help you out

Rollr4872 and John A. Thank this.
  5. Kozaturf

Kozaturf Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Westville, IN
    I know that we booked our test dates 4 weeks out just depends on how busy it is at the test site.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a job I've told several people about that had problems with their cdl schools or DMV.
    Maybe you can hit the road now and not wait 6 weeks. This company requires teams and one must be a CDL-A holder and the other can be a CDL-A Permit holder. Maybe someone in your cdl class will be interested.
    Job Requirements:
    Contract us at www.deosvia.com

TEAMS NEEDED:
    • Husband and Wife teams
    • Friend and friend
    • cousin and cousin
    IF you have a FULL CDL A or B and friend only has a CDL A or B Permit. We can get you into a straight truck with sleeper that you can train with and become a full team! You take the truck home!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

line, Bookhacker and MBAngel Thank this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    well the good part is you've now got 6 more weeks to practice.

8. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Maneuvering around little cones is about as silly and unrealistic as it gets lol.

Manny328 and DTP Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    All stop.

Your words: "I have not slept in 24 hours."

This is your absolute point of failure, not the test, not the school not your life in general. Go get some good sleep, maybe 4 sleep cycles worth, which will come out to about 9 to 11 hours. When you have rested and bounce out of bed ready to play coffee wars come back here and read your post.

I cannot buy it for a minute you only touch a 18 wheeler to aim at cones the long way 5 times in all your time at the school. I'll tell you why. That kind of long parking is not required by my state in the 80's but all 24 of us gave it a go for hours and hours to see which of us is the fastest parker ever in that whole school.

Answer none of us. The old Instructor was... his time was half ours roughly 24 seconds and slid it right in no pullups.

And this is with a school that only did sat and sun for us for 4 months. But by the third month we were feeling confined. Bored. Sick of the usual yard games with all pf the trucks and so on.

At that point road testing started and Maryland offered a range of roads and mountaisn etc to go into. Plus a steel mill over in Sparrows point where I can have that trailer get loose and slide a while and no one will care. Its not that big of a deal. I have always tried to find the limits of what a 18 wheler will do for me. So that if I am on ice in winter I can darn well stay well within these limits.

Your first lesson today. Sleep.

You will probably get a chance to retake the test but if at all possible march back to that school and practice.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  10. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    But thats what you have to do for the road test exam

11. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Yes I am aware of that. It is very silly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.