Failed my in-cab today. Can't figure out why...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VinnyVincent, Jan 16, 2019.

1. VinnyVincent

VinnyVincent Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2018
    It struck me as a little odd, but she told me she can't tell me exactly why I failed. I thought they are supposed to tell you?

Anyways she said it had to do with building pressure back up on the air brakes test. I don't see what I did wrong, though...

I mentioned that I was building up to governor cut out at 120-125PSI while checking the gauges.
    After checking my emergency valves, I mentioned that I was going to time it between 85-100PSI and I would make sure it did so in under 45 seconds.
    The ONLY thing I can think of is that at that point I told her it was safe to drive since it was over 100psi. Should I have waited until it cut out at 120-125psi and then mentioned that before driving?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    Man I just read the state manual and it says to let it build to 100psi before driving. Now I'm getting pissed. I'm starting to think she only failed me because it was starting to rain and she didn't want to get out and move cones around. She also took a personal phone call right during the time I was building the pressure back up...

Rideandrepair and Schoob Thank this.
  4. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    That's very strange that she couldn't tell you. It's been long enough since taking mine that I won't try to help and cause confusion but i'd suggest reading back through that section of the drivers manual and see if it pops out at you.

5. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    Was this an actual DOT officer or a company employee trained to administer the test?

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Something seems fishy here... where did you take the test? I would be calling a supervisor or something to get an explanation.

7. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    It was at the state testing location. I'm not sure what level of training they require to become a tester here in TX.
    I watched the pre-trip video over and over again and did it the exact same way. I'm really at a loss. She came back out and asked if I had figured it out yet. I told her going over it in my head I couldn't think of anything.
    I told her "there was the first part pf the buzzer test, where I didn't have the key turned enough for the accessories to work, so the buzzer wouldn't come on...but once I figured that out, I turned the truck back on and let it build back up so i could test the buzzer properly."

Then she said "and what did you let it build to?",

to which I said "about 90psi, but that was adequate enough to make the buzzer turn off so that I could test it when the pressure dropped low",

to which she said "right and then after that what did you let it build to before driving?"
    and I said "100psi, but that should be enough and I also mentioned it would cut out at 120-125psi"...

then she said "well like I said I can't tell you exactly why, but if you think about it I think you can figure it out".

I really can't think of why I failed. She gave me a strange look when I said "I let it build to 100psi before driving", which was about the time she took the personal call. I'm wondering if she wasn't paying attention or something.

8. Schoob

Schoob Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Southeast Mo
    It's very possible she wasn't paying attention. It's unprofessional in my opinion to answer a personal call during your test. You only get so many chances. I'd reread that part and try again once your 100% confident you have it down. Hopefully on her day off lol

Rideandrepair and VinnyVincent Thank this.
  9. VinnyVincent

Sep 30, 2018
    It's really frustrating that I can't figure out what it could have been. Something just seemed off about the whole thing. I'm really trying not to play victim here and take responsibility for failing, but it's just not adding up.

I'd try calling and talking to a supervisor if I didn't know for a fact already that it would be a waste of time. You can hardly even get a live person on the phone at the central office, much less get a supervisor from a specific location to help you out in a case of "he said, she said" regarding a failed road test.

My best bet is to just suck it up and "do better" next week...but without knowing why I failed, I can't help but wonder if I go back and do it all the same way, will I fail again? I did everything exactly the way I learned. After reading over/watching everything again, there's nothing I would change about how I did it.

Rideandrepair and Badmon Thank this.
  10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    If I am understanding you correctly... The only thing I can think that you did wrong is maybe after doing the buzzer test you should have let the pressure build all the way to max to confirm that the governor is working and cutting off at 120-125 psi.

You are correct that 100 psi is a safe operating pressure for driving down the road, but for the purpose of the pretrip, you have to test that the compressor shuts off and the air dumps when it gets high enough.

I am kinda just guessing here... I still think the examiner was very unprofessional and should have given you an explanation.

Better luck next time, you will get it. Hopefully you get a halfway competent examiner next time.

11. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Is that the last step in getting your CDL.I mean if she doesn't tell you what you did wrong, how are you supposed to learn.Playing a guessing game with someone doesn't sound right.If you drop a dime on her, she sounds like she'll yell sour grapes.How long before you can do it again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.