Failed road test. Only have one more try. Demoralized right now

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by davidtrucker88, Oct 18, 2018.

1. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    He needs her in the passenger seat or he can't legally operate the truck.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I just took my test, and my tester said he would not be telling me how to drive - read it off the official instructions he was giving me for the parameters of the test - , and he did not. So, her telling you to honk your horn was wrong to start with. Then, he was cool, calm and collected, and very professional. That's her strike 2, in yelling at you to honk again, and screaming at him to get out of the road. The, she added to the problem by telling you how to drive, and doing it in an unprofessional manner.
    Now, many of us fail the driving test the first time, so don't let that get you down. You'll get it just fine on the next try. No, that person should not be an examiner for the state. If you reported her to the state, she'd have her permissions revoked, and the school would be out a 3rd party tester. But don't be worried if they make you take it again, just do not take it with her. Ask for a different tester, or for them to take you to the dmv for a state examiner if they don't have another one. My school had 3.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Remember being a newbie man. Back when these trucks were huge compared to anything you ever had ever driven.

As much as we as driver need to be and act like professionals, someone employed by the state as an instructor should be held to the same if not a higher standard.

These trucks were so intimidating back then. Yea now i think of a truck as big pick up. Back then not so much

Farmerbob1 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Yup I get your point. My point is life ain't always fair. It is what it is? Deal with it!! (I can rememer many many times growing up. Guys named Leroy or melvin had to score perfect to pass. But guys named Lawrence or mark got multiple chances. So fatty patty went over board. TFB what ya gonna do if your driving solo in nyc and someone yells at ya?

TripleSix and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That’s true but it is still his right to tell her to get out of the truck if she is a problem. He can park the truck at the nearest parking lot and call the company to get someone else out there to help.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. davidtrucker88

davidtrucker88 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2018
    UPDATE: I was told by the coordinator this morning that corporate has finally reached an agreement with the DMV. He stated Patty was spoken to about the incident and while she did state that she could have toned it down a little, she says I was completely lying about her yelling and swearing. This is a 100% lie. She did however tell the truth about taking off her seat belt and reaching over to pull the air horn, but she said she did that because I didn't know where the air horn was, which was another lie.

He said after some back and forth bickering between corporate and the DMV, they have finally reached an agreement. Since Patty stands by her decision to fail me, the test will count as a fail, leaving me with only one last try to get my CDL. If I fail, that's it. I go home with no CDL and all of my hard work at the academy will be in vain. BUT they have come to an agreement that I will not have to take the entire driving test over. What is going to happen is my test will start exactly where the incident occurred AND I will have a completely different instructor.

So what he says will happen is the instructor will drive to the exit ramp, pull over and we will switch and the test will begin at that point while he holds the clipboard with a fresh test paper. So I will have to drive exactly 1.8 miles. He laughed a little and said during all of his years being the coordinator at the academy, he's never seen a test like this start off a ramp exit and stated that corporate really fought for me to have this outcome. He said everyone that has failed has had to start the driving test from start to finish.

My final try is this Thursday first thing in the morning.

Wish me luck guys!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    kemosabi49 and TripleSix Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Thanks for the update. Let us know how it turns out, okay?

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK not to say someone is lying but I will say that the company has an obligation here, if you failed on your own accord, then I can see it as a failure but the examiner is the cause of it from what I see. The DMV doesn't have the rule how many times you can take a test, the company does and I think that's where the problem is.

IF you fail this time, I would serious consider getting a lawyer and having the contract nullified where you owe nothing, and if you paid, it is refunded in full because of the incident. Her actions by her admittance was uncalled for, and her actions of getting out of the seat is really against those policies for all DMVs.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I stalled the truck twice and I was pass by my road tester, a nice old man very relaxed and easy to be around. He even gave me cough drops and a bottle of water because I had a cold at the time I was testing. He said I didn't impede traffic so no harm no foul on the stalling. He also said he could tell that I can drive, the clutch just takes practice.

If it doesn't work out, head over to a better company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.