Fair Price To Repaint My Trailer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by VisionLogistics, Feb 16, 2012.

1. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    2002 Utility Reefer 53' - Instead of replacing this wagon, I decided to just fix it up. I've been getting bids for repainting the trailer sides and nose (excluding the reefer unit). I'm seeing prices around $1000 - $1500. That's for material, labor and tax. The cheaper bid was using Limco single stage urethane. Not sure yet what the higher bids are using for paint.

The Limco bid labor included power washing it, scuffing the surface and shooting the paint. Also the masking and other labor items.

So does that seem reasonable? Around a grand to get my 53' box sides repainted? Stainless doors so they don't get painted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I would call that a steal!

4. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Seems cheap to me... my son paid $2500.00 to blast and repaint a flatbed some years ago.

KB3MMX, Fullforce and VisionLogistics Thank this.
  5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I agree.

You know what they say about something being too good of a deal.

If you pay peanuts it might be painted by a monkey or elephant!

VisionLogistics and Fullforce Thank this.
  6. VisionLogistics

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    I was afraid of the same thing, however it's not just one quote, but three that are all in the same ballpark, and 2 of which offer lifetime warranty against defects in the finish. The highest of the three quotes was $1295 and included sanding and metal etch prep.

Guess painters are hurting around these parts for work.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Fullforce Thanks this.
  7. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When I put my KW T300 expediter truck together (2000 AD) I bought an ex-Ryder 24' van body for $1G... it was FRP construction so I rented a bigger compressor (I just had a small one) and DA'd it in my driveway and painted it with a brush and roller... looked great! I used a high gloss enamel I bought from my local farm store.

Back during T'giving of '01 I was stuck in Stockton, CA over the weekend. I went to Home Depot and bought two qt's of bright red paint, some primer and a boatload of foam brushes and a small roller... repainted my entire combo flatbed frame in three days... sat on my lawnchair all the time I was under the trailer.

Again..it looked real good and lasted, too.

8. VisionLogistics

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    I'm going to fill up my camelback waterpouch with some beer and use an old wheelchair to scoot around under mine while I apply some of that zero-rust I bought a few weeks ago. Only problem is it's 25 degrees, snowing, and the wheelchair doesn't scoot in the snow, so I have to wait a few months. :biggrin_25519:

SoDel and Fullforce Thank this.
  9. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Just curious....how much paint are they calling for in the estimate ? And that is cheap....that's why I'm asking.

10. VisionLogistics

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    3.5 - 4 gallons. The last quote was for 3 mils.

11. Twin Sticks

Twin Sticks Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2019
    I just got a quote in fontana to paint my 12 utility dry van 53' sides and back for 4k - 5k plus

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.