Falcon Transport, Co. - Youngstown Oh.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by geargrinder, Nov 23, 2006.

1. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    Flatbed at Falcon seems to be robust. They are trying to get van drivers to switch over to flatbed. They sure have a lot of new aluminum flatbed trailers at the west middlesex yard. Originally, they were a flatbed company and got into van with compass. They may be going back to what they (at one time) know best.

Still with the Falcon. I guess I am now a seasoned veteran. Must be time to go to a new company:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If you're happy with Falcon, why change? Don't quit a good job. Quit a lousy one.

4. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Mack is right. If the company you drive for makes you happy stay put. You may not be so lucky with the next one you go with. Plus I would start a 401-k account. Never too early to start planning for retirement. Don't wait till you are in your 50's to start thinking about how you are going to live when you have to retire.

5. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    Retirement for our/my generation is an illusion - unless you work for the Government.

Thinking of changing jobs for a couple reasons. More money, I am on track to make right about $40K with Falcon. I believe I could make more and be home a bit more with another carrier.

I would also like to take a couple week vacation this summer. The only viable way to get a couple weeks off is to quit and then get a job with another company. J.B. Hunt has me for a PPG dedicated position and a $1K sign on bonus. Averitt has me for a regional OTR position. I am also looking at Crete for Mid-Atlantic Regional position.

I understand JB Hunt gets a lot of bad press on this site. People complain about Averitt's dress code. Crete's safety rating is on the skids. Oh my, what's a trucker to do!

6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What's wrong with Averitt's dress code?

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    I took a medical leave when I wanted a break once. I think I took 3 weeks off. The company didn't like it on the day I parked the truck, but after I came back and resumed being the good worker I am (when I'm working for a good/great company, that is), they forgot about the three-week break in a hurry.

8. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    Falcon lowered the boom on General Commodities! The mandate was switch to Automotive or Flatbed or hit the road (sans blue green International).

I really don't care for either, so I am taking up one of the many invites to orientation that I have accumulated.

I looked hard at Averitt, but I think the overall slowness in the economy dictates hauling freight that doesn't have much demand elasticity. Thus, I have narrowed it down to hauling coffins or food. A truckload of coffins would creep me out. Looks like Southern Refrigerated or TransAm.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey, somebody's gotta haul 'em.

10. geargrinder

Nov 23, 2006
    And them Batesville rigs aren't too bad looking!

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Try delivering embalming chemicals and supplies to a funeral home. I had one today. I mentioned to a guy there doing some remodeling work "Big shipment today. I hope they're not expecting business to pick up" He replied "Hey, there's a gal working in there who can split and drain 20 of 'em in a day", as if I needed to know that.

Also, sometimes I get the misfortune of catching a glimpse of the room where they actually do their ...dirty work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.