Fan clutch air line?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by tnpete, May 27, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Trying to find the air line for a fan clutch 1997 W900L with 12.7 detroit? The piece broke where it comes out of the hose and goes into the hub.
    Anyone know the right part to search for?
    Thanks in advance.
    Pete

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It should just be a threaded brass quick disconnect 1/4" air line fitting.

You can always call the KW Stealership and ask them.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    No you probably need to call a detroit shop with the engine serial number. Tried to buy a turbo oil line gasket for mine. We don't deal with detroit parts. Really? You guys put the engine in the truck.

tnpete Thanks this.
  5. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Thanks guy's will call KW with the SN Next week. Was hoping I could find the part online.
    Pete

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

If the airline, go grab some from Napa or where ever. Measure length and install yourself. Plus buy new fittings if the look shabby.

lilillill and tnpete Thank this.
  7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

If it's the stem, again go to Napa or some other place. Take broke stem with you to make sure threads and diameter are correct

tnpete Thanks this.
  8. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Will check it out. Its the stem pipe that broke. Did not know if the end screwed off the line or not? Was not thinking, and should have just taken a deep breath. And looked into that part deeper.
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Sure there will be more coming. Pictures to come soon. 600,000 miles on a 12.7 with 13 speed trans, 24.5 low pro tires, 72" Mid roof sleeper with couch, 1997 W900L.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Most times its just an NPT thread fitting into the fan clutch housing if I'm remembering it right. I have replaced a couple broken ones on Stars with Detroits. Just have to route the hose so it doesn't rub on the front of the head if you put a short fitting in there I think.

passingthru69 and tnpete Thank this.
  10. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    The flex hose from a grease gun is a perfect fit

passingthru69, tnpete and cnsper Thank this.
  11. tnpete

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Thanks this one broke the copper looking pipe between the fitting and hose. The hose has a tapered nut on the end. But not sure if it unscrews off the hose or not.
    And the guy still has not gotten the truck running. He changed out the fuel filter. And has not gotten it back running. And I think he's dumber on working on it then I would be. If it was close to me. I would have it running. But 5 hours or so away. And I'm not running back up there to just try and get it running. I want truck. But I feel if he wants to sell it. He will get someone there to get it running. Engine had 600.000 thousand miles on it. And is everything I want in a truck. But in 19 months. Will turn it into a toy to just pull our RV with. So win Win both ways if I get it. Make money with it and then play in it.
    Pete

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.