Fancy Gap

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by richierich723, Dec 8, 2011.

1. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    The first time I ever went down Black mt. (east bound) I was training. It was midnight and pouring down raining..My idiot trainer was in the bunk sleeping. I was about to go back there where he was..lol....It was my second day driving. i didnt have a clue of what I was doing. But, yeah, I puffed a few more cigarettes than normal heading towards Greensboro.

ECU51 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kidsdad

kidsdad Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    central illinois
    One thing my daddy told me when I was riding with him long ago, You can down a big hill too slow a 1000 times and you'll be ok. Or you can go down too fast once. Now years later Ive started driving but that saying stays in my mind every time i start down. One gear less than i went up in, sometimes two since i dont have a jake. I get passed by alot of trucks but i figure those are drivers with jakes, and or alot more experience than me.
    b

4. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    That's how felt when I was going through the s curves on 40 going towards NC coming out of TN I was just starting to relax when I came to that drop on the other side of Asheville. It was raining at midnight and my trainer was sleeping with head phones on so I couldn't wake him up. I smoked a pack and half on my way to the stop. Just kept thinking how many more of these are there will I get to my stop I was really freaked out that night

5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Put her in Georgia overdrive and coast all the way into Charllotte!!!:biggrin_25524:

ECU51 Thanks this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Watch out! Your dating yourself oldman!:biggrin_25525::biggrin_25525:

EZ Money Thanks this.
  7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    So Swift has the same trainee program as CRE . Just a way to get somebody to run team cheap . Tell me again about how training by these "trainers" is so essential .

8. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Fancy gap wasnt a problem at all,and beautiful scenery.The problem I had was stopping to call the wife,and sitting down in some tall grass,and discovered a 5ft long King snake stretched out suning,
    arms reach in front of me.:biggrin_25524:
    I got some pics on my phone I will put up.Biiig snake!!Look before you sit,or you may not like what you sit on

9. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    I'm not sure but he kept saying well ur experienced but I kept telling yes but with a pup trailer in the city so he just left me alone and let me figure stuff on my own but he would get out when I was backing you know make sure I didn't hit nothing but then again I think he was more worried about his truck then whether I was doing things right

10. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    My feelings have always been when driving in a lane restricted area like the gorge or other such places, I'd rather follow a moving truck no matter how slow, than to sit for hours behind one laying on it's side.

ECU51, volvodriver01 and rjones56 Thank this.
  11. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    If you've got the truck under control and you're just coasting down I-77 with the jake on, look to your left and enjoy the scenery. It's also nice at night with all the lights down there.

Also blow your air horn when going through the tunnels. Noone seems to do that anymore. It echoes like crazy. Just don't do it with someone right next to you or they may wet their pants.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.