Fancy Gap

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by richierich723, Dec 8, 2011.

1. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    I do that all the time I was taught a long time ago by my grandfather u blow ur horns through tunnels

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    the only thing that bothers me til this day on fancy gap is going down that hill in rain and fog, i've done it a few times, and every time i get to the bottom i say "f, that, i'm running down 29 or 220 next time lol.." but it can get pretty nasty in the rain and fog...

another thing, going up fancy gap with a bunch a trucks loaded isn't fun....

4. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    220 is more fun and quieter.Rarely will I go south on 77.When Fancy Gap has a screw up,its usually a bad one.

5. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Agree,220 is a fun road after you get to know it.
    I run down it empty every couple weeks and have a blast in those curves late at night..

Been on 77 many times on ice,snow and thick fog all at the same time going down the gap. Not fun with the idiot 4 wheelers either.

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Ran Fancy Gap at 2am this morning. The Mix of darkness, rain and dense Fog made it a Nightmare. Loaded near Augusta, Ga headed for Flint, Mi. My GPS wanted me to head right back up I-77. I chose to run I-26 and I-40 over to I-75. No way I'm running Fancy Gap again at night.:biggrin_25510:

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Toss the gps out the window and get you a good Atlas.

8. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    My last trip over Fancy Gap was after dark in a pouring down rain, some fog, and a bit of lightning thrown in for good measure. It wasn't bad at all and I really can't figure out what all the fuss is about. I've been on much worse.

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  9. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Key word in your statement "Some Fog" ... go down that hill when you can only see 10 Ft in front of you and got 40K push you down the hill, come back and tell me you still can't figure what the fuss about..

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I've rolled Fancy Gap in those conditions, and I still don't see what the fuss is. The northern Rockies (rolling the 90 from Montana to Washington)are way worse in my opinion. And there's always the glories of Vail and Donner. Plus, I've got some grades here in PA that, while not as long, will give a driver some white knuckle moments in good weather, never mind snow, ice, fog, and alien invasion...

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  11. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is exactly what I was getting at. Fancy is nothing compared to some of the western mountain grades. I guess it's all relative though. If one has never been on some of those western passes, Fancy would seem pretty bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.