Farm2Fleet/Covenant Fleet - O/O's

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by BigBadBill, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    First, there is NO set industry FSC. It is based on a formula that the carrier or the customer sets with the variable being some fuel index, TYPICALLY. I know a company that used all FSC billed last week divided by total miles to come up with fsc.

And FSC is one of those games that carriers play to get people to think they are getting a better deal. At the end of the day what matters is what is being paid to the truck and if you are running contract freight that you have an FSC. Only reason a higher than normal FSC should come into play is if you are running freight that will get you a lower MPG - open deck, heavy haul, city driving, etc.

Now, to what you are asking. First, a lot has changed since the initial posts and you can't go back and edit these so I understand your confusion. You are combining programs and talking about one that no longer exists.

At F2F we have two options: The percentage that has been around since the beginning and that is 80% plus 100% of contract freight FSC. This can be complete self-dispatch or we can help.

Because we have good drivers that aren't ready for self-dispatch and want to come over and just run we are working with a customer now that we will be able to offer consistent miles (2700-3000 solo/5000 - 6000 team) on a mileage program ($1.15/mile solo - $1.20/mile team). Pay is on all miles and FSC on loaded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    You have to be going on 3-year by now.

4. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Not too sure how a FSC is a "game". I understand if someone is happy with the total rate, but some are happy with those .90/mile carriers also. Doesn't matter what the total rate is, you're still loosing out when a carrier takes a % of the fuel. 3000.00 load for 1000 miles @ 80% is 2400.00 Broke to linehaul and FSC it's 80% of 2500.00(2000.00) + the 500.00 FSC. 100.00 more. Sounds more like a "game" for those that don't pay it.

6. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    FSC is designed to protect a carrier/driver on contract freight. No one can tell you what the price of fuel is going to be in December. So if you accept dedicated freight or mileage pay from a carrier you need to make sure that you have a fsc to level the pay based on the cost of fuel.

The "game" as it it is played is those companies we have all seen that advertise "the highest FSC in the industry". A business person should say "who cares, what is the pay to the truck?". It is the same when people are talking percentage. I higher percentage isn't better or worse. It still depends on what is being paid to the truck.

FSC is irrelevant in the spot market. The bid should be placed on what you need TODAY.

We don't pay out on the FSC for spot market because we let our drivers negotiate the freight on their own. Early on we had a driver negotiate a load and rather than get more money on the load they asked to increase the FSC beyond what is normal (it worked out to be over $1/mile on FSC). What we do seems to work and so far I have some happy drivers that are making some good money. We are always looking to get better and when we need to make adjustments based on changing market conditions we will.

7. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    That's why you adopt a company FSC. Prevents just what you said with spot rates and high FSC. And also prevents the carrier from taking a % of the FSC. No different than a carrier taking a % of detention, layover, unloading, ect.

8. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    Most of us at F2F run spot market and the rate is all in and im happy with that...Now if I picked a up a contract lane I would want the FSC.

9. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    As long as someone is happy that's fine but there is a FSC built into a spot rate. If fuel was 2.00/gal the spot rate would be less.

10. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    So for pure marketing purposes I should create an FSC and lower my percentage? If the truck needs to make a $1 what is the difference if they make by adding a percentage plus FSC or just take a percentage? At the end of the day a $1 is a dollar regardless of how they got there.

This is a lot like the conversations I have with drivers that are mileage pay or have a lower percentage pay. They tell me their numbers and I am looking at my drivers settlements AFTER expenses. They can't get past the FSC thing but I am looking at my drivers netting near and better than what they are grossing.

11. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    27 months, so I guess it's 3 years if you want to round up.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.