Fast food? (A roundabout to health I suppose.)

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by x1Heavy, Aug 4, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I treated my ex to a McDonalds in El Paso today. One has been torn down and is being rebuilt elsewhere in the Valley where the bypass to Conway (Oklahoma-st louis) runs.

This is not a reflection on that Eatery NOR the people there. By examination I verified the food processors, assemblers etc were wearing gloves plastic and the staff up front were engaged properly in putting the order together in a safe manner.

The menu was limited by necessity. And adequate for our purposes. We ordered a double cheeseburger with everything on it, fries, sundaes and shakes to go on. What arrived were adequate burgers but somewhat smaller buns mine exploded in my hands and we needed MANY napkins to clean it up. Next time I just get a roll of shop towels. The containers the burger came in were smaller than I remember. The fries were split between us and had lost the patato substance. What I found was a what we from Germany would call Ersatz. Fake substitution. This is a old word going back to my grandparents. Who spoke the last of the old German from Kurfurst before it was destroyed in history.

Anyway. Working on the fudge sundae it';s the same as it was and keep in mind it's 20 years since we been inside a McD. Thats one positive on both of us.

The shakes chocolate was not chocalate. I found myself dealing with what I felt were I guess cream of wheat type of particles coming out of that drink. I guess it wants to be chocolate and wants to be a shake but the company has utterly either failed to make it right or forgot completely what a shake should be.

In the end we made the final and irrevocable decision not to eat at McD corporation for food. That goes along with the BK's plant material they call meat released nationwide. That ended our possibility of visiting there for life.

Now this is not a rant. But a careful and sober examination of how truly BAD fast food has become. I come home tonight and we both fix a proper dinner. That has provided use the boost and energy to keep rolling tonight while we endured a salty afternoon with much fluids to try and hydrate that away in the heat. So much for that idea.

Now I am not a hater of McDonalds or fast food. 30 years ago I can pull a big rig into any McDonalds grab a typical BIG order ensemble and eat it up with a big stiff coffee to run on a while. And it used to provide the boost for 5 hours minimum for me.

Today the nutrition power content in todays meal did not give me the boost I was looking for just salt and god only knows what else escaped from their labs trying to save a dollar. The total for two people? 20.40

That I think I find even more outrageous. I can go to Petro and feed both of us a #### dinner skillet with mountains of meat and so on. Usually. Even though Petro has been... a capsule frozen in time for 40 years of my life. I can probably go to the grocery store and haul home a mess of food that will carry us days on 20 #### dollars.

IF that is what fast food is becoming, a permanently "Lite" version of itself, a shadow of what it was once then it's not good for our heath. It cannot be.

stillwurkin, FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There is a McD's in El Paso Arkansas?

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Had no idea there was a such thing as el paso arkansas LOL figured he was talking about texas and was wondering why he drove all the way to el paso just to go to mcds lol

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yessir, a little intersection of Highway 5 and 64. Been around since before we started using that route in the 90's That eatery and gas station has been rebuilt twice since I made a home here.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I understand the confusion and I should have clarified further. El Paso Arkansas is a small township in the north central above the Little Rock Airforce base on the US64 bypass between US 67 and Conway I40 at highway 5 which itself is a good little bypass to Little Rock in flood season that closes US67. (Future I-57 Interstate by 2023)

My main thought is that a lunch consumed has certain expectations made of it and it was a unfortunate waste of money, time and a education on how badly American Fast Food has become a product of profit.

The main job of the day contains a number of churches, one of which we made some progress into the rest of the year.

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, you scared me, buddy, with that "El Paso" thing. G-dam nutjobs, where's the love of God there, anyway, not to derail the thread, I recently took my neighbor for lunch at Mac's, been years since I did that, naturally, I was shocked when 2 meals was almost $20 bucks, ( what do families do?)and like you say, it wasn't that good. Sonic, is ok but still $10 bucks each. ( Besides, the best burger I ever had was "Fatburger" in L.A). You can eat at Macs for cheap, when I go, I get 2 cheeseburgers, and a glass of water, total $2.18 and they aren't any different than 40 years ago. Traveling and eating ( and restrooms) is a huge hassle on the road, so much so, next time I'm taking the train. I'll do a Subway ( not cheap either), at least that has SOME fresh stuff, but any kind of traveling today for me, I have a cooler, I stop at a grocery store, and take real food with me, and costs a lot less and I don't have to deal with that tour bus of kids( that can't make up their minds) that just happened to pull in before you.

stillwurkin and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    You have to remember that McDonald's made their name on making burgers fast, not good.

Now the world wants their burgers good, not fast.

Last time I went there, ordered two cheeseburgers and fries. The fries cost more than the two cheeseburgers. Figure that one out.

McDonald's is doing everything they can think of to save themselves, except the one thing that will work. Make a better burger. Because they can't. Not the business model.

For the money, go elsewhere.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Mcds destroyed the apple pies , used to be deep fried.
    And the chocolate shakes are chemicals reminds me of Purple K from the Navy.
    I dont go anymore.
    I will knock the bottom out of a Whatabuger.
    We just had a Chick Filet open up here people camped out in the parking lot overnight waiting for it to open.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  10. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    When i hit mickey d i, most of the time get my food off the dollar menu. Water or coffee. Do like their coffee. Posts are correct, they are getting pricey. A steady diet of this fast food..think i hear my arteries slamming shut.

11. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    OMG I just drove thru this town today. Could say hello to x1 and stop him from poisoning his ex.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.