Fast Food Drive throughs for 18-wheelers?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by WI Student, Mar 11, 2008.

1. WI Student

WI Student Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Oshkosh, WI
    This may be a dumb question, but does a fast food drive through window for an 18 wheeler exist? Would it be possible for a semi to go to a drive through window?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Yes, Wendys does not have any overhead so the truck will not hit it. However, you can not go through the normal drive through because you will not clear the curb. You have to go straight through. And give your order at the the window. You also have to shut the engine off because they can not hear inside. I've done it many times and the always get a kick out of looking at the truck at the window.

4. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Some fast food joints post signs for height clearance, and also saw one the other day at Burger King that said NO Semi trucks allowed in drive thru area.

rabbiporkchop and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. KCCW

KCCW Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Littlefork, MN
    There's at least two McD's in northern Minnesota that have drive thrus for big
    trucks. They even have a raised platform so they can walk out & deliver your
    order at window height.

rabbiporkchop and peterd Thank this.
  6. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    I don't know if they still do, but Micky D's in Toelle, UT, across the street from the TA had a drive thru, you use a phone to place your order, pull around and they come out with your food.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. Socy Grad

Socy Grad Medium Load Member

Suprised they don't use an elevator! :biggrin_255:

8. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    I always go in or if after hours walk up to the window.. Some have company policy where they are not able to take orders from the window, so its a 50-50 shot walking up... Most see me drive up in my truck and let me order anyways.. I hit up a lot of Taco Bells this way..

Scoot 1971 Thanks this.
  9. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, just a little story related to this.
    I was with a friend - in the passenger's seat this time - who decided he was going to visit DQ for lunch. Great, I thought, I'm famished. This particular DQ has a huge dirt lot next to it - plenty of room for trucks.

So, what does my friend do? That was the question of the day - he cuts into the parking left, veers right all the way up to the parking lot curb, and then proceeds to pull into the drive-through!

"May I ask what exactly it is that we are doing?"
    "We're going through the drive-through!"
    "Yes, but you can see there is a 90 degree turn ahead of us, a tractor alone would have trouble making that turn".
    "WATCH me!".
    Ummm, well, I've been driving for a while, the only thing I figured I was going to watch is him having to back out of there.

So - we're at the order deal, he shuts the truck off, we give our order. I ain't driving, if he does something stupid, my hands are clean.

So, new drivers, do not do the thing that my friend did.

He drove clean over the curb, over top of all kinds of landscaping, bushes and small trees, got the trailer jacked around the 90, and then - proceeded to drive back over the curbs/trees/bushes/landscaping. When he finally got the truck straightened out, he then backed up to the window, paid the money.

I don't know how much damage he did to that property, but it was in full view of the window - and they were watching him. WHY they never said a word to him about it, I dunno. We got our food - I wanted out of there and out of his truck, for that matter.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. theakerstwo

theakerstwo Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2008
    tulsa okla
    I dont think this is a good ideal because there will be some driver that will pull up to the drive in and then get his order then go in to the bath room and leve his truck in the drive thru for maybe half hour and think nothing about it. I see it all the time at the fuel pump. If you say somthing the guy that will do somthing like that is dangerest and you should stay away from him.

Grumppy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    What I can't figure is this. Since we get so little excersise during the normal work day, why would you want to use a drive through for fast food. Walk a mile before the 32g of fat Big Mac

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.