FAT people are Discriminated against at prime

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by mikebrown611, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Old Goat Driver

Old Goat Driver Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Wide Open. On the road.
    Drivers get hung up on the BMI side of the evaluation because it's what immediately personal to them. "Are you calling me fat?", etc...

Drivers should take a moment and evaluate for themselves, "Am I at risk for or have this condition?". And then seek out the solution that best fits them.

"Yes, I am at risk", should get you motivated to seek help and then once you get help, work to help yourself. Be candid and realistic with yourself and those trying to help you. Don't get scammed. I hate those carpet-bagging, #)(*$#)(*$ more than you can imagine. The ones that carpet bag or promise a "negative OSA study" or "100% compliance reports" are scammers and they should be taken out. The ones that are trying to help really are trying to help you. Work with them. Talk "civilian" instead of "truck" talk. It helps.

"No, I am not at risk", be prepared to defend yourself. If you have to deal with fleets that are agressive about this, you have to be well educated about this. And be prepared to defend yourself. It can be handled, not easily but it can be handled.

I can help evaluate sleep operations and make suggestions if you need help. PM me. If the questions are consistent, I'll post them for group review.

If you think you're getting railroaded by a fleet, PM me and I'll look at it with you.

We have to stick together on this because, where you go, we all go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. interdude

interdude Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    during my last sleep test with cpap, felt like i was awake the whole time trying to go out

after ~ 5-6 hrs gave up and let the assistant know

he claimed that the results showed a great sleep which made me wonder about the whole thing

any thoughts? forgot to mention it to the doc later

i'm also interested in this part
    prob would be best to start a separate thread

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. Old Goat Driver

Old Goat Driver Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Wide Open. On the road.
    This is a pretty common experience for new sleep lab patients. Let me cover some of the basics of sleep first so that it might be easier to piece together your experience. My apologies if you are already familiar with this but you'll need this foundational knowledge in order to understand and explain what you're experiencing in sleep.

You have to understand that in every single night of sleep, you will experience different types of sleep and varying periods of that sleep. It's call the circadian cycle and you should shift/transition through 5-6 cycles per night. Here is a link to the AASM and the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. It's a dry read but, you've got to do it to learn it. Besides, it's a hell of a sleeping aide just getting through it.

http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/Articles/030203.pdf

The first issue sounds to me like "first night effect". It is a condition experienced by many people when they have their first sleep study. What happens is that the brain cycles from a deeper stage of sleep like stage 2 or 3 and kicks back up to a lighter sleep like stage 1 or even momentary periods of awake. This transition tends to happen rapidly and throughout the night so it "feels" like you've been awake all night. But in fact, you may collectively had lots of sleep (but very fragmented sleep). This is to say, fragmented sleep = not good sleep.

First night effect is common due to stress, or new experiences (CPAP titration), a new environment, or even excessive fatigue. People experience first night effect at other times too. Think about how you feel sleeping at someone else's house for the first time. Or in a new truck for the first time. Also, think about whether you've been so tired, you can't sleep.

I don't like to comment on another technician's work or technique but I think that your technician made a minor mistake by commenting on the quality of sleep, "great sleep" because, his macro perspective of the night would not have allowed him to easily make this statement. It's not uncommon for technicians to say these kinds of things because they know that you are under some duress regarding the sleep study and want to ease you. It's not until after the study has been scored that we'll know if your sleep was "great, poor or non-existent". Once scored, the study and the associated sleep can be more fully analyzed. I've had a number of studies that I thought would provide proof of a certain expected outcome, only to be completely wrong. I've learned not to comment on the test but I may make a few comments regarding the testing experience. We're all human and we generally want people to feel at ease.

When people experience first night effect in our labs, we like to perform another study at either half cost or based on the circumstances, we've even done them for no-charge for the first study. It's a professional courtesy. It also, takes the anxiety out of it for people.

You can also ask to be medicated. Do this well prior to the study. Your physician can make the determination of whether pre-medication is appropriate for your type of study.

As for my comments regarding "clearly spot on...." I'm new here and haven't tried to start a thread. How about you ask me to join a thread or ask me answer a question. You also PM me.

Hope this is helpful.

5. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    It's just a saying. It refers to the ability to change. The mindset of some of these posts are truly ugly though.

ironpony Thanks this.
  6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    So people aren't able to change their mindset?

7. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    Done with any further explanation my post and all the previous posts are all there for you to go back and read, even reread if necassary. My post by itself would deserve the scrutiny your giving it....but when taken in the context of all previous posts it should be clear the point I was trying to make. Last post for me in this thread.

8. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Works for me kettle.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  9. duck65

duck65 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Northeast GA
    I just tried to work for them (I already have my CDL A but little experience) but they expected me to do the first phase of their training, 75 hours / 10000 miles without pay !!! They do not tell you this til you are on the road and when I inquired about why I wasn't getting paid they said that I was technically not even employed by them until I got back to Springfield and passed their skills test. Not only that mess, they told me I had to change my CDL to the state of MO and then within 30 days of getting out for my 4-6 months training with another trainer, pay at 12 cpm, I had to get back to my home state and change the MO CDL back to where I live. How much sense does this make? Needless to say, when we got near my home state, I got off the first trainers truck and made it home and haven't looked back. Stay away from PRIME inc, they are a rip off company!!!!!

10. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Never mind, I didnt read the post correctly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.