Fear Of Height, and going over tall bridges???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Good thing you can't see over the side of the Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge when you're driving across it. It's 890 feet above the Colorado River.

Siinman, D.Tibbitt, Grumppy and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    You probably do not want to drive across the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan then.

Goodysnap, ‘Olhand, Grumppy and 4 others Thank this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I drove over the Mackinac Bridge about a week after an empty dry van got blown onto its side.... Didn't bother me at all, but it's sketchy AF in a small car. Worst bridge I've driven in a big truck, I think it was the Chesapeake Bay Monstrosity.

5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    This is the bridge at bridge city, TX south of Orange, TX.
    The southbound side that is so steep is the one with only two lanes. The newer part, the north bound side is 3 lanes. Its not as tall or steep & its wider.

[​IMG]

bridge city tx - Google Search

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Honestly, the scariest bridge I've been across is one of the lowest and that is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Those railings aren't very high and aren't tall enough to stop a truck from going over. Even worse, it's over 15 miles long. Add winds and a light load and it's enough to make your heart flutter.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I never had a problem with bridges, till one day a comment on the radio messed with my head. Ron & Fez were talking about fears, Fezzie was crossing one of the NYC bridges and it got to vibrating from traffic and scared him. I'm sure all the listeners laughed, but a couple days later I was on an elevated curved overpass, traffic backed up and I had to stop near the top, just sitting there the vibration in the bridge started, freaked me out, actually broke out in a cold sweat for a couple minutes.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Before they tore it down, I took my wife across the Cooper River or James Grace bridge, the single lane portion in a serious storm with the wind whipping around. This was scary for both of us.

Been on many bridges but that one scared the crap out of me.

The other was a bridge in Pennsyvania where I got actual spatial distortion. The bridge was in a construction zone, the lane became really narrow and there was no lights at all on the bridge or road leading up to and leaving the bridge and it felt like the truck was overturning in the mid point of the bridge, scared the crap out of me.

Mackinac Bridge?

Easy, been there when it was windy, walked it when it was windy and still easy bridge to drive.

Grumppy, Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Texas seems to try to outdo themselves to see how high they can make those flyover ramps. The one at I 30 and I635 was way high. So they are redoing that interchange and the new ones are even higher.

They are building new bridges over the ship channel in Houston. The one on Beltway 8 was partially finished when they found some flaws in the pylons and construction stopped. They had to tear them back out. It was designed by the same firm that built that pedestrian bridge near Miami that collapsed. I think I'll just go the other way.

10. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Grand Canyon Skyway Arizona
    70 feet out on clear glass walk way 4000 ft down ....

Grumppy, Rideandrepair and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    I hate heights with a passion. If I got on top of the coffee table in my house, my wife would have to call the fire department to get me down. As far as bridges are concerned, I treat them like a porta potty, and just don't look down.

wore out, motocross25, striker and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.