Fear Of Height, and going over tall bridges???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    The Fred Hartman Bridge on 146 at or just south of Baytown. It doesn't bother me too much because its 3 lanes in both directions & I can stay in the middle lane.
    I go across the one on Tollway 8 on the east side when I'm running down to Freeport. It don't bother me too much.

Rideandrepair and RockinChair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    The only one that kinda makes me think is the Skyway in St Pete....but mostly because as I understand I was on of the last vehicles over it South bound that foggy am
    Traffic wasn’t as heavy then....which thankfully explains that only 3 vehicles were on the main span when it happened...2 went off one had one wheel over the edge but they got out
    I crossed around 645 or so...just bout sunrise....but rainy foggy miserable morning
    By the time I got to Publix in Bradenton bout 730.....everyone was talking bout it

Rideandrepair and Grumppy Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I cross it every day, and sometimes twice a day.

The secret to that one is tunnel vision, eyes on the prize at all times. That makes the eastbound side easy. The westbound span is a tougher animal though because you’re going downhill AND with a curve to the right.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I got stuck at the very top of the W/B Bay Bridge once for 3 hours behind an accident. I wonder how many people were losing their minds over that. :biggrin_25523:

6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I always have to watch my speed on the 146 bridge, it's real easy to go over the speed limit. Personally I think that bridge is kind of fun. I don't care for the toll bridge too much, mainly because it's narrow and people drive like idiots as they're coming down towards 225. I wish those people would take the tunnel, especially since we're not allowed to.

Rideandrepair and Grumppy Thank this.
  7. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I had a brand new ladder have a weld give way on one of the top steps. A 40 foot ladder when i was 35 feet up. Extendable ladders make me ####ing want to piss myself to this day. ####. That. I HATE heights. Meanwhile my best friend also wonders why i wont fly anywhere.....##### i have a truck and i have a fuel card. We DRIVING.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    There's a toll bridge just outside of Antioch, CA.. A nice foggy day and you will literally drive straight into the clouds

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    upload_2023-3-31_13-33-32.png

North bound I-5 Portland Oregon over the river always got me a little when I was in that left lane looking down. The retaining wall is shorter than my steer tire. Seemed like a good pothole could send you over the side. I learned to look straight ahead after a while.

10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2020
    The best part is when you stop or slow enough and you feel the bridge shaking.

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    This is the bridge i am talking about. I always called it the bridge to the gods. When driving up it, you are aimed basically to the sky when looking from the bottom of it . especially when its foggy and cant see the top of it. Wish i wouldve got some pictures of it in person but havent been over that way in probably 4 years or so

Antioch Bridge.jpg
    400x0.jpg
    zcYbLpmQx5z_xGyXLkLN_D8Rxo2ZK9253iGwuh32Ak0.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.