Fedex Freight, Applying Different State

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Apr 14, 2016.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I'm interested in relocating, see a Fedex Freight opening where I am aiming. It's not far, maybe a 12 hour drive.

Would it make sense to go there and see the TM first before applying online? Is there a time of day that's best in LTL, like when the trucks are out of the barn? Midday?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Wait: not far? A 12 hour drive?! I hope you mean 1-2 hour drive.

Maybe a phone call first.

I can't imagine driving out of state just hoping the TM will be there. And if it's one of their giant terminals, it might be difficult to pull that off without an appointment.

My experience is that my company wants drivers to jump through the hoops online first regardless, so that they can see your info before scheduling an interview. That way they can pre-screen people and not waste time on unqualified applicants.

speedyk Thanks this.
  4. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    i think he really meant 12 hours

5. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    please apply first dont go down there and say will you hire me without applying

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Just apply online... Mark that location, and notate in your resume that you are trying to relocate to that area. Mention you would be willing to meet for an interview in person. Don't just show up, raises a lot of red flags...

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Companies like Fed Ex Freight and UPS Freight get hundreds of applications all the time, so the likelihood of showing up at a terminal requesting for an interview isn't probably gonna happen. When I worked LTL, I would see a lot of people come off the street unannounced, requesting for an application or interview, and the only thing they would mention was to apply online first. But before you put an application down, make sure you have a hazmat and doubles endorsement, otherwise they just skip right over your application.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    ^^^ And tanker, for the bulk tote haz rule. They want em all!

speedyk Thanks this.
  9. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Thanks to all. I have been applying but my work history is almost all 1099.

10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    It doesn't matter, as long as you can verify your employment. The most important thing is have worked at least for 2 years out of the past 3 years, with no gaps in between. Obviously the more experience you have, the better your chances, especially if you're applying for Fed Ex Freight.

speedyk Thanks this.
  11. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I used to be a dockworker. Had to work 6 months before I can start applying for truck driver. Went through driver apprentice program for 3 weeks and here I am driving for them since September 2015.

speedyk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.