Fedex Freight, Applying Different State

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    This is true. And that may also vary from region to region as well, in regards to how close the nearest hub is to your home terminal, how many drivers are in your terminal, volume of freight, how quickly you can advance, etc.

Some locations also have daytime linehaul, but I'm guessing those positions are constantly held by senior drivers. I have a friend in Arizona, that's what he does.

If it's up your alley, you may check on the P&D side as well. Pay is hourly.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    When I started driving for Fedex freight 2 years. I started 46 cents a mile, Im at 58 cents a mile

4. kbello24

kbello24 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the reply. I like dock work so I won't mind it at all. What company do you work for? If you mind me asking

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Dayton Freight.

Just curious - are you currently with ABF? Is it possible to transfer, or is there another reason you'd want to leave?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  6. kbello24

kbello24 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Yes I am currently with ABF out of NJ and a transfer is still a possibility but I am looking to move to Charlotte, NC and in that area their ABF is not as big as the one I'm currently at and they do not have road drivers out of that terminal. As to Fed ex freight their location there is huge and have tons of road drivers. Something to sit and think about

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yep, makes sense. I think ABF in Columbus may run the same, without road drivers. The giant hub is in Dayton. Despite being a bigger city, ABF in Columbus has around 40 doors, whereas they have nearly 400 in Dayton.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    One thing to keep in mind here if I may.

To my knowledge Fedex uses two separate seniority boards for city and linehaul. That means if you want a day run with FedEx you'll have to run nights for an indefinite period of time. You won't be able to run city and then take a day linehaul when one appears because you'll go back to the bottom of the list.

Gearjammin' Penguin and JReding Thank this.
  9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Good point, @MACK E-6...

Yes, there are two seniority boards, City and Road. When you are on one, and you apply for the other, you do in fact lose bid seniority. I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but here on the west coast, an experienced driver looking to get on with the company can apply for whatever position is open off either board, as long as it's available. A trainee will be cross-trained, two weeks with a trainer, one week with a road "coach", and one week with a city "coach", then if there's no issues, the trainee is scheduled for a driving test with the state.

Typically, most drivers will start in the city, then "move up" to road driver.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thankfully, my outfit doesn't do that. I started out running nights until I had enough seniority to take a city run in an area I liked when it opened up.

11. kimbosa

kimbosa Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2011
    lufkin texas
    You can also trade if both agree and no one wants it. Like i wanted back in the city and a city guy wanted the road. I took his route and he took my run at night. But i started on the bottom again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.