FedEx Freight

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Smithereens, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Smithereens

Smithereens Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2023
    Greetings all. I’ve been driving OTR for quite some time and have contemplated moving back closer to my parents now that they’re getting older.

I’m basically interested in LTL nowadays, and the only LTL company in Southwestern Missouri that says they will be hiring in the foreseeable future is FedEx Freight. They said a couple months when I spoke to them.

My question is, (from a driver standpoint) how is it there? Is it mainly dock work until driving positions open? Is it road work or P&D or a combo of both? Just trying to see if I should hang on to my driving gig now and wait for other LTL companies to start hiring or possibly apply to FedEx when it comes open.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    For SW MO, the only opening right now is for a Road Driver in Joplin. At a smaller barn like that, I would not expect to have to work the dock instead of driving, but some of their linehaul runs do involve dock work at the destination.

Cardfan89 and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  4. Smithereens

Nov 8, 2023
    Ok. How many runs are generally available? Being someone with no seniority does that go by whatever run is left for the day or is it a wild board that the new guys pick from?

Are miles generally consistent?

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Generally, no. Even if you are fortunate enough to get a bid run, which is unlikely, you'll be the first to be canceled.
    That said, if you work for a good guy, he might offer you time on the outbound dock so the day is not completely wasted.
    Honestly, it takes about a year or more for any kind of consistency. But, it's worth the wait in the long term.
    Good luck.

6. Smithereens

Nov 8, 2023
    Fair enough. I’ve never done LTL before and there are definitely some differences between that and OTR and a lot that I’m sure I’m unaware of.

Appreciate the replies so far.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Generally speaking, the first year can be tough. You might be p&d one day and linehaul the next. But like I said before, just give it some time, it's worth the wait.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  8. Smithereens

Nov 8, 2023
    I paid my dues here and it is difficult to start over but I completely understand that part of it.

Thanks again.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    FedEx does a lot of weirdness.

They use multiple seniority lists, that is one for city and another for linehaul. If you switch you drop back to the bottom of the list.

They rebid tractors. They rebid runs every 6 months IIRC.

City guys don’t have an assigned trailer, so chances are they pull a different one every day.

Last I heard city guys there only get to bid on the start time, not the actual territory.

Some people seem to enjoy working like that, but I personally couldn’t tolerate that much of a lack of consistency.

McUzi Thanks this.
  10. Smithereens

Nov 8, 2023
    So is city essentially considered P&D? And Linehaul does the turns/bumps (the folks that meet another driver from another hub)?

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s correct.

FedEx has something called shuttle runs too. I think that’s basically a linehaul run where you go to another terminal, work the dock there, and bang a set together and come back.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.