FedEx Ground Linehaul with JohnBoy

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JohnBoy, Dec 31, 2023.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Here it is. Let’s get down to what got me in this sector of trucking. Trust me when I say, this thread will not be 10 years and 8 months long on my part like the last one, but, it will run as long as I’m here. How did I get here? Here goes.

Back last April, it was announced that my previous company was ending west coast runs. They did, even though I was able to get an occasional trip. They became farther and farther apart. I held on as long as I could, but going from mostly driving, to bumping docks 3, 4 and 5 times a week was becoming to much for me. What that announcement did, was chase our highest producing team away, along with 3 other top teams. Also, the woman I took on my truck for the month of April, did one solo load then quit. Where did they go? FedEx Ground Line haul with this particular contractor. I was told that I needed to come over as well. I waited to see how it was working out with my fellow employees at the previous company and everyone told me the same thing, it’s a completely different game with a boatload of money to be made.

So, at the middle of August, when I was home getting ready to go to Greece with my wife, the contractor called and we spoke for an hour. There was one hitch that he needed to work out, He could get me to Ocala and Orlando, but he needed to get me closer to WPB. He finally was able to get that missing piece with a lane to Port Saint Lucie, 44 miles from my house. I got the phone call from him while we were in Greece. We had already agreed on pay, so when we got back, I filled out the application and started the process.

The hiring process is done through a third party that FedEx hires and was VERY thorough. When I was home for Thanksgiving, I got my doubles/triples endorsement. When I left after the holiday, I did my drug test up in Ohio at a Concentra a mile from the Meijer DC in Tipp City Ohio. Once that was completed and a few loose ends that needed to be addressed, I was hired. I have been on the books as an employee since December 1st just so my health insurance will kick in on February 1st so I don’t have to pay for Cobra coverage through my previous employer.

I’ve been at this racket since ‘78. I’ve experienced most everything, I’m at the end of my career. The opportunity to run strictly terminal to terminal, not bump docks, no shipper or receiver interaction, no dealing with brokers is something I am looking forward to. All I want to do is drive. Period. And the biggest plus? I am not having to chase miles worrying about making sure my pay check is where it needs to be. I’m on a salary based pay every week that’s guaranteed whether the truck moves or not. Over 2000 miles per week and my mileage rate is .75 per mile for the miles over 2000. There are other perks that are quite good. 2 weeks paid vacation after 6 months, One weeks pay in December as a Christmas bonus. BCBS health insurance very comparable with my previous company that’s actually $23 per week cheaper. There are other things that just added to my making this change. Like the fact that there are only 35 trucks that this contractor has, of which, half are teams, the other half are solo’s that are home every night, and then me, the only solo OTR driver in his fleet. Because of that, I was afforded the highest weekly guarantee pay. I’m sure some folks will find something about this they won’t believe, but in the end, this is the opportunity that I always heard was out there, but never found. All the leg work has been done by the other 9 previous employees of the old company that have been here 6 and 7 months.

As I go through orientation and get acclimated with a new system, I will share my experiences with everyone. Right now, I am sitting in the Comfort Suites in Jackson Tn relaxing. I have a day off tomorrow then 2 days of orientation. Happy New Year everyone, be safe, and let’s all have a healthy and prosperous new year!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    So, how was the vacation in Greece?

4. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Fabulous. 12 day Greek Island cruise, then 4 days in Venice.

MACK E-6, dwells40, austinmike and 6 others Thank this.
  5. nextgentrucker

nextgentrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 25, 2023
    Port Saint Lucie, Fl
    Happy New Year and congrats on the new job!!!

MACK E-6, Bumper, JohnBoy and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Has Venice cracked down on the loudspeakers and limited the size of tour groups? The idea is to make the experience more pleasant for the tourists and the people that live along the water.
    Maybe that hasn't gone into effect yet.

Bumper and Lumper Humper Thank this.
  7. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    JohnBoy,
    I couldn't be happier for you. After everything you gave to Abilene and ended up with nothing it sounds like a dream come true.
    The idea of driving and not hitting docks would be enough for me. After reading the facts about your conversation with the new boss it appears that you are going to have a great final leg to your career.
    Thanks for the new post and I'll continue to be a loyal follower to your success. I wish you joy, success and prosperity for 2024. Abilene has lost their best.

8. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Asking the real questions LOL hell yeah brother

9. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    This has been our 4th time visiting Venice. The loudspeakers are gone. Tour groups are an issue still. We mostly did our tours with a small group, and did plenty of walking and sightseeing on our own. Venice for us is one of those cities that keeps drawing us in to visit.

10. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    LOL. I love talking about the places my wife and I have traveled to. Much more interesting than some of the roller grill specials at Loves. Happy New Year!

dwells40, Speed_Drums, Bumper and 4 others Thank this.
  11. JohnBoy

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Thank you. I’m sure, just like any part of trucking, there will be issues. But for me, and what is offered here, this is the perfect opportunity for me at the end of my career.
    The previous company served a purpose for 10.8 years, it wasn’t all bad. I just didn’t want to be associated with them and and the direction they were in. Happy New Year!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.