Fee's for Truck parking...who pays/who doesn't?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by TransportNService, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

By that logic, why are we providing trucks?

Can't they just build whatever they need locally? Using locally obtained resources?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    Bison pays for parking. Does Transport N Services?

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Because someone is paying you (or your company) to use the truck. Why should TA (or whoever) owe you anything when it's not them that is asking for the truck? They are a business, just like you. They are here to make a profit, just like you. They choose to cater to trucker (and other) just like you (or your company) chooses to cater to them.
    So yes, when one business throws a quote like you did, it is an entitlement attitude.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    spyder7723 and tinytim Thank this.
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It always has been hard to get parking even before the elog system came into force i'd never even bother to park up after 5 pm i'd just keep on driving if i still had plenty of hours still to do, or a few off the books when the DOT weren't looking.

6. Infosaur

You know why most downtown districts have been replaced by malls/Walmarts? Parking.

If you run a business it's an expected cost to provide a place for your customers to park.

For instance: I have a retail client that bought a location in an upscale neighborhood in CT. On opening day they had such a huge crowd the customers started parking on neighboring properties (I don't get it either, but it pays the bills,) The cops got involved, neighbors sued, it was pretty ugly.

So what happens now? On peak times of the year they offer valet parking (and I'm sure there's a fee).

We aren't talking valet parking or an added service (okay, fine a reservation service) but they are not adding to the spaces available they're simply monetizing an existing asset.

So yeah, the crappy underpaid unfriendly employees, barely clean restrooms, over priced retail goods, and millions of dollars in fuel revenue aren't enough to be profitable yet? They've gotta monetize the parking too?

They'll probably ALL do it sooner or later, and maybe I can pass the costs onto the company, and by extension the customer, and by extension the consumer. But for right now I'm gonna hold the line a bit longer.

And maybe in a few years we'll be debating if it's cheaper to get a ticket in some podunk town or to pay for the truckstop parking. Maybe some of these small ghost towns with boarded up storefronts might want to consider opening truck parking centers since having ALL the truck parking in the country controlled by a hand full of multinational conglomerates.

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Depends on the business. Not too many camp grounds provide free parking. :)

Silly analogy you say but how many of those parking at the truck stops actually spend any money there?

I rarely spend money at the truck stop I park at. I rarely pay to park there either. It's nice they provide me a place to camp for the night but if it comes down to having to pay I find it hard to complain since I'm not really a customer.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Truck stops do provide parking. It's not there fault if you get there late and it's full. You should be thankful there is an option provided by many to hold a space for you.

Trucking, roads, and truck stops have reached a saturation point. Nothing you or the truck stop industry can do to keep up with increases in trucking volume other than what they are doing. They are building as fast as they can, when and where they are allowed to build. They all [for the most part) provide free parking so I don't see how you can have a problem with them. If you're trying to say they "owe you" a spot whenever you decide to want to park, that is just ridiculous.

spyder7723, ZVar and peterd Thank this.
  9. Infosaur

How does it get from:

"I don't want to pay for parking"

to

"I never shop there and I expect them to hold me a space for free"?

People need to pay attention before quoting me then making a statement 180 degrees from what I said.

I do shop at the truckstops I spend the night at, but I'd have to be an idiot not to notice that the pre-packaged donuts they sell are 50%-100% more than what you can get them for in a supermarket.

And a supermarket I might add can make profit on the same acreage with six times the parking spaces (albeit for smaller vehicles so let's call it a draw) and although it's a pain in the but to find a parking lot full you never know when someone might be STARTING his day at 10pm or later. There is constant churn in the truckstop lot.

10. Krazymonkeys

Krazymonkeys Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Like someone said in an earlier post, the number of reserved spaces has more than doubled in most corporate truck stops since the mandate. Before the mandate, you could pull into almost any truck stop at 6pm or earlier and have no trouble getting a spot. Now, some of them have gone from having 20 to 30 reserved spots out of 200+ total to nearly half reserved. The TA in Cartersville, GA is one such. It may even be more than half reserved. I see the same number of trucks trying to find parking at 6pm as before the mandate took effect, but now half the lot is empty because it's all reserved. The mandate is definitely an issue, but not nearly as much as its been made to be by the sudden price gouging from the corporations taking advantage of us. To make matters worse, this cones at a time when rest areas across the nation are closed for renovations in the hope of adding more parking. I'm parked on a ramp north of Atlanta as we speak, risking blue lights, simply because I'm heading to Savannah and the rest area in Macon is now closed for renovations and I don't have time to make it anywhere else. I never had this problem before the mandate.

11. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    It amazes that there are still drivers who feel they need to work a 9-5 job. I must be in a travel plaza by 5-6 pm because they drove 300-500 miles for the day. As for the pay to park issue, as long as the yuppie, new generation so called drivers are using such technology, so their poor little delicate, sensitive, and fragile little sorry ####ss can log out at 5-6 pm. The large mega companies are partly responsible for this, as they want their precious driver not to run out their 11 hours. Thus. reimbursing the driver for such expenses. Here is another reason how the ELD's will kill this industry, and create an even bigger shortage of drivers (supposedly a shortage). It just kills me as to how our industry has changed so drastically in just a short 20 years, and the dependency upon technology, and stupidity has taken over for a large sector of drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.