Female Student Needs Honest Opinions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by lilsister, Mar 13, 2012.

1. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    Hey All!

As a new student in the truck driving industry, I am very excited about getting out there and working my butt off to make a decent living (have been laid off twice in 4 years from typical office job). I have loved trucking (or what I know of it) for years and have always wanted to become a driver, but never had the opportunity until now. That being said, I am a realist and know that I am entering a male-dominated field and would like the opinions of experienced drivers on what kind of reception I can expect as a female driver once I start my career. I know most of this depends on my attitude and work ethic, so I will say that I am not afraid of hard work and long hours, and have no problem being humble. Just looking for honesty about how you guys feel about women entering "your" industry.

Thanks for your time!!:biggrin_25514:

Truckermania and Female Driver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    I've been out there as a driver's wife, and for the most part been treated with a great deal of respect. I would expect they would treat a lady driver the same way.

4. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    I am hoping so! I have been doing some research on my own, and have pretty much scared myself by watching YouTube videos posted by female truck drivers on the do's and dont's of safety. None of the vids ever cover how, say, shippers and receivers might react working with women drivers, or how male drivers who work with you might receive you. Just curious about the average opinion from the male perspective.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You're going to get walked on, IF, you let them walk on you. You have to carry yourself as if you've been out there for awhile. Some guys think a single lady means you're "available" and will ogle you. So be prepared to defend yourself ( not necessarily physically ) but with the cat calls and staring etc.

6. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Welcome.
    I would hope you would be treated with respect like real truckers do.
    Sadly, this is the new age of trucking so:
    Watch your back.
    Until you learn the ropes always tell everyone you meet that your big ugly knuckle dragging husband is asleep in the sleeper :D

7. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Unfortunately, that's really good advice. This industry seems to attract a lot of people who, through circumstance or breeding, don't know how to act.

Blackadder47 and lilsister Thank this.
  8. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    Thank you! I am hoping that I can figure out the marriage of being confident (so that I dont appear vulnerable) and not being a hard*ss. As far as the ogling and cat-calling, I think I'm prepared (key word: think), so long as it's just that...looking and talking. And I'm definitely using the "knuckle-dragging husband" back-up plan!!! LOL!

9. Round2

Round2 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2012
    WA
    Just don't end up looking like the typical male driver. LOL
    Life is changing, the boundries of past roles are fading. I wish I could say all drivers will respect you but that's not so. However... there are still enough of us Grandpas out here to help you get beyond the less respectful attitudes.
    Welcome to the road! While I will hold the door for you, you have to throw your own freight to earn respect from most.

lilsister Thanks this.
  10. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well i started in this profession 21 years ago....women are accepted a lot more now, than they used to be. be professional, do your job and dont expect favors because you are a woman, act decent, dress decent and present yourself in a respectable manner. (not saying that you wouldnt)...i ran solo before meeting my husband. i didnt announce that i was single....or get out of line flirting so as to attract that kinda crowd. be aware of your surroundings. try not to put yourself in a bad situation, altho it cant always be helped. i know stopping at rest areas for a bathroom break is faster and sometimes the only option, but in a lot of cases not as well lit, or close parking...which in the dark, is a bad plan. expect some guys even customers to be rude just because you are a woman, but then you have the ones that think its great that you are out here, and will go out of their way to offer advice or any help you may need. you can do it. be safe and wish you the best....hope this didnt come off rude, dont mean it that way!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.