Fighting a ticket for not having apportioned plates in PA?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Atlanticus trucking, Jul 16, 2019.

  1. Atlanticus trucking

    Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

    175
    67
    Jun 22, 2018
    0
    we got ticketed for not having apportioned plates. The fine is 1625.50. We are registered for 34k and were carrying around 27k. We were weighed with portable scales on the side of the road. The ticket doesnt list our weight, that section is blank. He didnt tell our driver our weight. Two days later I registered and got the apportioned plates.

    Does anyone know:
    1. How is this fine calculated?
    2. What angle should I use to fight it to be reduced or dropped? I was going to bring the paperwork showing we corrected it 2 days later. Is there anything I’m missing?
    Thank you
     
    Bunk315 Thanks this.
  2. Eddiec

    Eddiec Medium Load Member

    684
    662
    Feb 2, 2015
    0
    Based on the information that you have provided, and the number of variables in the case, i would suggest that you speak with an attorney who specializes in Pennsylvania traffic law for the best outcome.
     
    GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  3. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    1,315
    850
    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    0
    fine sounds like the annual cost of IRP registration in PA, maybe with some court costs.
     
    Bean Jr. and p608 Thank this.
  4. Atlanticus trucking

    Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

    175
    67
    Jun 22, 2018
    0
    What other information can i provide? Thanks
     
  5. Atlanticus trucking

    Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

    175
    67
    Jun 22, 2018
    0
    When I registered in NY it came out to $470
     
  6. wis bang

    wis bang Road Train Member

    1,315
    850
    Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    0
    When NJ joined the IRP. their base license was around $1100.00 and back when you had to pick the states and estimate the miles NJ used to tell everyone to put 90% of the miles as NJ and split the remaining 10% among the states you picked even had a sheet with the shortest mileage across all the other states, both east to west and north to south. to help you guesstimate things.

    That way NJ received most of their base license cost $470 sounds a little low for NY's apportioned price.
     
  7. MrEd

    MrEd Road Train Member

    2,109
    2,587
    Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    0
    Other than "throwing yourself on the mercy of the court" I dont see anything to fight. Showing the court that you fixed it 2 days later only proves that you didnt have it 2 days earlier. Good luck!
     
    Bean Jr., x1Heavy and Grumppy Thank this.
  8. Ziggy319

    Ziggy319 Medium Load Member

    479
    537
    Mar 27, 2012
    Syracuse,ny
    0
    A guilty plea could have serious consequences. If they audit you after your guilty plea. Hey could pull your records for the last 6 months or more and fine you for each trip that was out of state.
     
  9. nctraveler69

    nctraveler69 Bobtail Member

    10
    21
    Dec 13, 2015
    0
    We had the same thing happen in Florida. We were not a trucking company and hauled are own vehicles that we built for retail sale, and we did not want to get a apportioned plate as we also use the truck for errands and parts runs and did not need all the different drivers trying to keep up with miles everytime they drive it. like you, we had the 34,000 lb tag in NC but plate was not apportioned. Scale on 95 got us and we weighed out at 28000.

    In Florida they bumped us back to 10,000 lb plate because we were told thats what they would only recognize and fined for 18,000 lb overweight. Fine was about $1,300. Your fine may have been based on the same thing and every state is different in how much a pound they fine you for overweight.

    We filed a formal appeal with FL and produced evidence of the 34000 plate and IFTA that was all valid. Took about 3 months and of course we lost. They stick with the letter of the law.

    Try and find a PA based traffic lawyer and good luck. I am guessing you will need it to get anywhere with it.
     
  10. Tropsnart

    Tropsnart Medium Load Member

    673
    1,030
    Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    0
    In Pennsylvania, apportioned registration is required for any vehicle combination 3 axles or more over 26k.
     
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted