Fighting homesickness

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Brandon1285, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Brandon1285

Brandon1285 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Any advise on when your just starting out in trucking, and you have a family at home? It seems like you can't get a local gig, until you have at least 6-12 months experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    If you are fighting homesickness OTR is not for you.
    There are many challenges out on the road that will make you give up quickly if you are homesick.
    My suggestion is to find a local job. Check into local grocery delivery,dump truck work, or maybe Bus driving.

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  4. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Yeah there is no way to fight homesickness.......

Wargames Thanks this.
  5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The adjustment can be made. A good cell plan will help a lot. If you can get a local job, that would be a good deal, but you can adapt. It never really goes away though. Keeping in touch with the home base, taking some photos with you, and realizing that it's not forever will help some.

ampm wayne and Wargames Thank this.
  6. ampm wayne

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    It happens to all of us. The only answer I can come up with is to stay busy. Time goes by faster when I am busy.
    We all know IDLE TIME is tough and if you are homesick it is death to a truckdriving career.

7. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    Try redi mix concrete, lumber yards, construction companies that run their own trucks. Go to your local quarry/sand plant and talk to every truck driver that comes through. Spring is coming and construction will be picking up.

The belief that you can't get a local job without OTR experience is just plain BS. You can, you just have to get out there and look. Pound the pavement.

8. rocknroll nik

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    I agree with both you and lilbit......when I was out on the road otr I'd be out minimum two weeks but normally was out 3 weeks.....while I missed everyone at home I wouldn't really say I got homesick....I was out there for a reason...to provide for my family.....so I guess for me the responsibility I had for them trumped any homesickness

Wargames and cincy dude Thank this.
  9. ampm wayne

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    They say absense makes the heart grow fonder. There is some truth to this.
    My family is always glad to see me when I come home.

Wargames Thanks this.
  10. rocknroll nik

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Agreed.....being OTR is in reality a job....ok yeah you're gone for a while..but when you get home it's up to you to get as much living in and togetherness as possible to make up for gone

Wargames Thanks this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Thats why I drive local. Did line driving (intrastate)for a few years but was single at the time. Once I had a family, I said it was time for a change. I still do overnighters when the rate is GOOD.

Wargames Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.