Figured out an easy way to break any cable seal.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 16, 2018.

1. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    o good pair of kline lineman pliers work for years until you get to the bolt, then bolt cutters

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    here is how my drivers do it.

"we are not allowed to cut the seal, only the consignee is"

We had two issues with the same place last year. twice now with two different drivers, they made the claim after the driver was told to cut the seal, the dock super made a claim against the company for missing items in the shipment and put on the claim that the seal was broken before it arrived.

So now all my drivers are to tell the consignee that they are not allowed to break the seal no matter what, they have to have one of their people do it.

Farmerbob1 and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    This is how it should be done. What's the point of a seal if it's to be broken by anyone but the consignee?

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Their is a million and one ways to cut the seal. It is not my job to cut the seal it is the consignees.

The seal is only on there to prove the driver (that is you) did not tamper with the load. So for those guys busting ### to break the seal, good job on you for being complicit in you freight theft conviction.

6. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    I used to keep a screw driver in the door for cable seals and would just turn it till it snapped,, didn’t take long and was a lot easier than toting around bolt cutters that didn’t want to cut the thin ones.. twisting em works on the skinny and fat cable seals.. before we get all macgyver on it with gadgets..

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You can probably pick one of these up for 10 bucks or less over at Harbor Freight and it will cut through anything.
    [​IMG]

TruckRunner and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    When you as an owner get dinged for $11,000 worth of product missing because they "misplaced it" on a dock and "found" it 10 months later, you will learn quickly whose job it is to cut that seal.

A lot of drivers are too stupid (YES STUPID) to understand the legal issues that are involved and don't get that they are responsible for that load until there is a POD on the BOL to move that responsibility to the consignee.

Many are lucky and never had to deal with this.

Some are not so lucky.

Get one dock super or manager who knows the game and has bonuses tied to production on that dock and you may be played and out of a job.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    To be fair, there are a lot of owners/managers that are too stupid to stand behind a driver who is standing up for your bottom line. If a driver pulls up to a guard shack, and the guard says to slide the tandems all the way back, break the seal, open the doors, and put it in door 45, and the driver argues with em, and then the driver gets written up for poor customer service, I think we all know how much that driver will care about your claims the next time.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Why reinvent the wheel? Get a Felco c7 wire cutter, it will slice through cable seals like hot butter. Also thiefs fingers. Hell, probably cut through a bolt seal in a pinch.

11. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    I use a claw hammer....put the cable in the craw of the claw, take the slack out and spin it a few times. Other seals break just like pulling nails :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.