Filing against companies bond for non payment?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bias_racing, Nov 30, 2021.

1. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I've been having a lot of issues collecting detention and the random amounts that I get. So I have considered forcing brokers to sign my detention agreement prior to taking a load. Have you ever had pushback from any of the mega brokerage places such as chop tank?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Never used ChopTank before. I've learned that it doesn't matter the brokerage nor their size. It's all about how bad they want that load moved or if the load is a problem child.

It's been the ultimate litmus test for me so to speak. If the broker bucks and whines when I mention our Policy I already know that there's going to be problems with the run or they aren't direct with the customer to even call the Shipping Manager to run it by them. I don't want to deal with either of that so I usually laugh and hang up the phone.

TQL paid me 150/hr on my very first run for them a few years back. It was for like 8 hours or something crazy. I was so paranoid because of all the horrible things I heard about them before I actually did a run for them. I crossed my Ts and dotted my Is and it paid off well. I've been adamant about it ever since.

4. BennysPennys

BennysPennys Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2021
    This is great having your terms agreed to eliminate the BS factor is like the Van Halen no brown M&Ms story in their contracts:

Many people have heard the story about rocker David Lee Roth’s insistence that Van Halen contracts with local concert promoters contain an unusual clause. It requires that a bowl of M&Ms be provided backstage, but with all of the brown candies removed or the show would be canceled. In at least one case, the band canceled a show for that reason. The contract was clear: No brown M&Ms.

Roth later explained in his memoir, Crazy from the Heat, that the “brown M&M” clause actually was a test to see whether the promoter had read the details of the contract. Reading the “fine print” was important because the contract was, in effect, a checklist of steps that needed to be taken to set up the stage safely. If the directions weren’t followed exactly, people could be injured. Roth added the “brown M&M” clause when the group started performing in smaller regional venues where local crews might make technical errors with the set-up. It paid off because in Colorado the local promoter had failed to read weight requirements, and the equipment would have fallen through the arena floor.

5. Bias_racing

Bias_racing Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2019
    So hows it look?
    That's a pretty #### good thing to have included.

BennysPennys and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  6. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

That is wise, smart man.

I have added odd things to contracts, recently did so again. It helps me gauge how flexible someone is, or isn't. Did they comprehend what they read, because reading, and comprehension are very different. Will the counter, and if so, how crazy, or mild with their counter be. Also see if they can negotiate reasonably, and maturely.

More people should be like Mr. Roth.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Write one up for your business.

8. Bias_racing

Bias_racing Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2019
    I am, but thats also why I asked how his looks.

9. a smith truck

a smith truck Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Yes, I had to file on TQL bond. The whole thing took about a week to get my money after waiting 9 weeks and TQL broker playing games

10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Decades ago, when I was a sole proprietor, I was a supplier to Ryder Bros. Cheese in Mt. Horeb WI. they had a steadfast policy, they absolutely would not pay ‘late fee’s’ or ‘interest’ on any invoice or statements. And that was on 60 day billing. Very seldom did anything go past the 60th day, but if it did, they paid just the original invoice amount, never any extra. All their supplier’s knew their terms going in, so there was no issue. It was their rules, or go home.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Were they a brokerage? Sounds like a direct customer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.