Finally found a job and have some questions.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by avrgus3r, Mar 1, 2024.

1. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    Hi, so I got my CDL recently but without experience it's really hard to find a company, but finally I did it. Just finished my orientation with Western Express and waiting for a trainer now. My experience so far is similar to other guys on this forum, but if you want me to I can tell more about it. Anyways I had to sign a contract with the company for 6 months, if I decide to leave or I'll get fired before that I have to pay $2500. That's understandable and to me this is probably only one option left until I get more experience so I can find something better. Also the company wants me to pay for such things as tow truck or abandoned truck, etc. My concern about WE so far is their trucks, those are in pretty bad condition, I feel like they going to make you drive a truck even if it's unsafe otherwise you'll get fired and if get fired you got to pay $2500. Obviously I don't want to risk my CDL or even freedom, I prefer to be fired than be in jail at this point. Can you give some advices how to deal with it? I know basics how do to pre-trip inspection but I'm not mechanic and I'm afraid I can miss something and will get in trouble. Also are there resources available to learn more about DOT violations and out of service? I need to understand better what to expect if miss something on my pre-trip and how they going to punish me for that. Thanks.

Flat Earth Trucker and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Did you go to CDL school thru western express? I’m guessing you did. Try not to overthink the whole thing.
    Nobody was a mechanic when they first started. Make sure tires and brakes and lights are working. No company can force you to drive an unsafe truck. There are repercussions if they try.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I have been in situations where a truck would not start simply because of a bad fuse.

Keep a pair of long-handled needle nose pliers with you -- & make sure you know where the spare fuses are on any truck they assign to you.

This can save you the wasted time & effort in an otherwise preventable tow, or service call.

Let a mechanic with Western Express tell you which fuse to pull & replace (if they decide a fuse is in fact the problem).

Otherwise -- @bryan21384 drove for WE -- he can probably answer your questions.

-- L

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    No I paid for a trucking school out of my pocket but WE wanted me to sign a contract.

Chinatown and austinmike Thank this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok. I’ve never heard of that. I guess at this point just do the best you can. You’ll figure things out as you go along. That’s how I did it. I knew nothing when I started.

7. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    And all the paperwork in the truck,make sure nothings expired.Any time I got a different truck I would take the book into the office and go through it with the person in charge of that.Make sure nothing is expired or missing.Ask for time to check your truck over good when they assign it to you.Clean it up if needed,check everything over.

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wargames, 201 and austinmike Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nothing wrong with a 6 mos contract with Western Express; especially the flatbed division.
    What you think @bryan21384

Wargames, bryan21384 and austinmike Thank this.
  10. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    austinmike Thanks this.
  11. avrgus3r

avrgus3r Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2023
    It is van OTR.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.