Finally going over the road

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by brianthenewrookie, Nov 19, 2023.

1. brianthenewrookie

brianthenewrookie Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2023
    Hi, everyone. I had my CDL A for 1 year and 8 months and I’ve been working locally do food delivery for that time. Now I’m going to join Bar nun transportation and do OTR. Anybody got any tips and tricks that might help me on the way. I already have a 2023 Rand McNally atlas, garmin gps, and backwards camera just in case any idiots decide to go in back of trailer while I’m backing up cause they do that when I’m delivering to stores all the time. Also I love fitness but don’t know how much weight I should bring like bench, dumbbells, barbells, etc… much appreciated thank you. Oh and I love the movie smoky and the bandit lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    That Rand NcNally (if it's the trucker version) will have listings for -- low clearances -- and restricted routes -- in the states you will visit.

Be sure to look at/through those lists when you do your trip planning; it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to avoid those traps, as a professional truck driver.

Those lists will save you A LOT of wasted time, hassle -- & $$$$$$$$.

That atlas (truck vsn) will have A LOT of other really handy info in it, as well; familiarize yourself with what's there. It's a well-organized "gold mine" of info for a truck driver.

Make sure you have the correct address/location for each delivery/stop you make. Then study the layout/entry/exit for each one using Google maps (both street & satellite views). Make sure your GPS navigation device is in fact guiding you to that SAME address (sometimes they won't :eek: -- don't assume they always will; double-check this before you depart, & adjust your planned routing as appropriate).

Even as a fuel hauler, doing "local" area (ha! -- NOT :rolleyes:) deliveries, I use a combination of info sources to ensure I get to the right destination, make the best entry -- & on the first try: Google maps, Garmin truck GPS nav system, "Trucker Path" app, & the Rand McNally trucker atlas.

When used judiciously together, as appropriate -- they are the "A Team"....of the nav world.

-- L

nextgentrucker, Lav-25 and Numb Thank this.
  5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    You're basically good to go then LOL

6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Kinfolk always told me, it takes 1000’s of nuts to hold a car together but it only takes 1 to scatter it all over the country side.

Be careful out there, you will unfortunately find many $$ hungry 4 wheelers with lawyers on speed dial.

As mentioned in an earlier post, do your homework look at your route before releasing the brakes. Stay safe and good luck….

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  7. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Get what gear you'll want ( frig , coffee mugs/ thermos , tools , etc ) before you go if you can . Prepare for cold weather clothing wise and driving wise. They are plenty of suggestions on this site and others too. Good luck

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Basis advice. carry food items and water on your truck. Crackers, can goods etc. If you wear glasses, carry an extra pair. Winter clothing. Also anything you have on the truck, you need to be able to check it on an airplane. Because you might not be able to drive your truck to your house. And other times, you may go from broken down truck to hotel room to another truck. And you don't want to carry all this stuff, right ? Travel light ! !

nextgentrucker, Lav-25 and Peplow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.