Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Have volvo turn the PTO on in the computer then you can idle as high as you want.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I always bumped mine up to 1,000 rpms if I was idling more than 5 minutes. It's pre-emissions but IMO if you must idle your engine then bump it up some to get the oil pressure up. With emissions motors for sure bump it up. I'm under a load right now that has too much time between deliveries. Delivered yesterday @ 18:00 next delivery tomorrow @ 13:00 only 21 miles away. I'm getting a motel room in a few. It's too #### hot to be sitting in a truck all day anyways. The way my thirsty motor sucks fuel idling @ 1,000 rpms for 24 hrs, that fuel burnt versus a room for the night isn't much difference in cost anyway.

4. TylerVS

TylerVS Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Sully, IA
    I'll up the rpms to 900 when I idle. If it's hot at night I'll try to freeze myself out for a few minutes then shut my truck off. If I get hot in the middle of the night I'll just run the truck for a little while again.

Elroythekid, Lepton1 and BoyWander Thank this.
  5. Quiky One

Quiky One Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Great thread! Thanks for sharing

Elroythekid and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    The way I look at it, I'm going to be comfortable. I don't shut the heat or air off at my house, I'll be darned if I'm going to sweat or freeze in the truck. Right now I'm buying fuel at $2.07-$2.25/gallon. At 7/8ths of a gallon per hour, my truck is cleaner than all hotels and 24 gallon of fuel, $54 for 24 hours, I can live with that. And yes I bump up to 1000 rpm as well.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My truck drinks almost 2 gallons an hour at 1,000 rpms. I spent $120 on that room but that's because demand was high most weeks it would have been cheaper, thanks Brickyard 400! Usually if you're getting a room in the $80-$90 price range you can avoid a roach motel. I don't even consider Super8's and the cheaper $50/$60 rooms as an option. I had 36 hours to kill and you may want to hang out in the cab of a hot truck with blazing hot day time summer temps going over 100* on my temp guage while parked but I don't. The A/C is barely adequate in those conditions. Hotel was well worth it. I do that maybe a half dozen times a year. It's nice to get out of that cab and you can write it down on taxes anyway.

8. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Sitting in Fargo, ND at the moment. 73 degrees. Have two drops at Menard's. Have a drug test scheduled in the morning, so I'll bobtail to the clinic 3 miles away and do that, then go and deliver the first half, then the 2nd half I'll do Sunday or Monday.

Load didn't pay all that well, got $3050 on it to end the week at $6100 on 2950 all. But this load was only 9k lbs and got good fuel economy, and I wanted to get out of that heat!

I think I might be able to get out of here at a decent rate, as well. Seems to be picking up a little up here and things seem to be slowing down drastically down south. But I'll see if I can use that as justification for a good rate down south.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0178.JPG I really feel for you and all the OTR guys. I say that cuz I go home mostly every night. And I really look forward the weekends. And most of you all are out away from the home 20.
    I had a very profitable week and was home every night. And tonight Friday I'm unwinding. I stocked up my refrigerator for the weekend, lots of games to watch, specially the gold cup going on.
    So my hats off to all hands for providing for all of us, without trucks, nothing moves, specially my adult beverage. Cheers

Orange713, G13Tomcat, T.Rucker and 2 others Thank this.
  10. TylerVS

TylerVS Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Sully, IA
    That's what I did a couple weeks ago. A 34 away from home in the heat is a completely different story then just an overnight. I like your idea.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Don't feel for me Dave I'm not a road warrior I get home plenty. That was a highly unusual load for me but I couldn't turn it down.

Al. Roper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.