Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    This is what i do. If i get to a bad market, i bounce to the closest good load even if it's a thousand miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    If a Driver/carrier has the time, (I stress the word Time).....Any Area in the Country CAN Produce a quality shipment.
    While Bouncing to a better area has been the Norm for years......Developing a Small Collage of Customers in Dreadful areas Doesn't Hurt.

And I Mean Dreadful areas, (El Paso,Albuquerque,Billings,SLC,South Florida,Sioux Falls,Bismarck, Etc Etc)
    The Idea is too Work your tail off in sales Habits to even overpower the Sales Teams The mega's Have.

There are Manufacturers,Growers,Shippers in said areas.,...Are You Willing to Take the Time to Earn that business??

Once you do....Nothing can Stop you, You'll Feel Control of this Business like no other.

Lepton1 and BoyWander Thank this.
  4. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm in Billings. I'd never even thought of contacting shippers directly, outside of the immediate area of where I live.

Looks like I'm deadheading anyways. I've been here for 4.5 hours and they're just now starting to unload me.

I'd better be getting detention time.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Someday I'd like to accomplish this feat. Just not sure which truck between Volvo and Freightliner to choose. I'd like one of those classic looking Peterbilts or Kenworths.

6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I can't wait to see the chaos and hurt that will be felt by all once elogs kick in.

I wonder if having a rubber stamp to make my demands appear official will make it easier to collect my detention money, or get in/out of the dock sooner:
    • A gate arrival rubber stamp, for the security guy: Sign here. Name here. Thanks you.
    • A Receiving office rubber stamp, for the desk clerk, listing $100/hr detention after 2hr grace: Sign here. Name Here. Thank You.
    LoL...what ya'll think?

Jeck, Farmerbob1, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Nope. Got screwed. Even though it doesn't even really say their detention policy on the rate con.

But I did make sure the customer got ALL their freight, if you know what I mean.

The receiver refused to put in and out times on my bills, and the broker refused to pay.

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    You gotta have the broker spell the detention out in the rate con.

9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Hence my rubber stamp approach.

My business, my policy.

I'd tell them it's company policy. If they refuse, well, I jot it down myself, and write "receiver refused to acknowledge time....additional fees will apply in collections"

Lepton1 and BoyWander Thank this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I use the term "failure to note times will result in forensic accounting fees".

Lepton1 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah I agree if they won't do it, write it yourself! Boom, now it's on there. lol.

Maybe consider even getting gps. I use linxup. Many times I have needed to send the screen shot of our in and out time. It pays for itself very quickly via detention and also tracks IFTA for you. Don't let these brokers screw you out of detention, it just makes it harder for everyone else to collect. It should be EXPECTED.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.