Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I've not went across the bridge, but have run around in the UP. Been to a couple of mines up there. I would go that way long before I went thru Chicago.

spyder7723 and Feedman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I'm sorry to hijack the post a little but this is one of my pet peeves. It's nothing against the op's decision. We all make decisions based on our own minds. I would go around the lake in a heartbeat. Thats one of the few perks of driving truck l think. To have that choice and freedom. Plus if you find you like it you have a little mental note about it so you can take/tell your kids/wife etc about it. We've gone on several holidays based on places I've seen from the truck. If you just run 100% 4 lane most efficient routing l think it kills you after a while. Then your like "oh you don't see anything while your trucking" sometimes you just gotta take that chance or try something new lol ok rant/lecture/pep talk over. :)

WI R_Ed, 6rider, dunchues and 5 others Thank this.
  4. Jeck

Jeck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    But 750 miles on a 2 lane that you have never driven. Not sure of rest stops or fuel. Being new myself I would of probably taken the ####cago way. The back-roads are peaceful and beautiful.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  5. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I don't mind driving 2 lane roads. Yesterday I drove over 300 miles on them.

42000 lb load of sunflower seeds, taking us2 stop and go, uses lots of fuel, time. Not too keen on going over that bridge, though. Been over it a handful of times in a car.

As I'm being loaded right now, I'm still considering going that route. Gut is telling me not to, heart is telling me to go for it.

It's just too far away out of my comfort zone, if something were to happen, I'd be in trouble.

I'll get up that way eventually. Maybe take a load out that way once. I wouldn't think there's a lot of dry van freight up there.

MarkH129 Thanks this.
  6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah my spidey sense is screaming, but I'm not a truck driver AND I'm really risk averse lol. Just think of me as that guy in the movie theater yelling 'don't do it!' Right as the main character makes the mistake that creates a reason for the whole plot to happen lol.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  7. special-k

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Ya probably the best bet then is to go Chicago. Its no fun to be stressed out all that way. As much as l will explore a bit I'm much more likely to do it with a light load or empty on my way somewhere the first time to get the lay of the land.

BoyWander and MarkH129 Thank this.
  8. Feedman

Feedman Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2015
    West mi
    20mph across the bridge is not for everyone. I liked personally. You can not Dodge the scale at the bridge though.lol. little known fact, if you are not comfortable driving across the bridge,they have people that will do it for you even in a cmv.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Much better to be heavy crossing the bridge than light.

Vic Firth, spyder7723 and BoyWander Thank this.
  10. special-k

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Ya they didn't waste too much money on the guard rails lol

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    With Minot the locals probably snicker at people trying to sound like they're speaking French when they say it. The same way the locals would laugh at you if you said you were going over the Mackinac bridge and you pronounced it MACK-in-ACK instead of the right way MACK-in-NAW. If the locals say it a certain way it doesn't matter what the origin of the word is.

That probably gets native speaking French Canadians or even from Europe all upset because they're really funny about their language. Down south some "foreign" words retain their foreign sound but many don't. I laugh when someone calls Louisville, KY LEWIS-ville instead of the way it supposed to be french sounding LOUIE-vul. Or people pronounce Moscow, TN the same way they do Moscow, Russia which is wrong, it's MOS-koh, TN not MOS-cow.

Oxbow, BoyWander and dan31186 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.