Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Hmm.

Time for an update to my loyal fans..if I have any more left in my absence.

So far this year I've grossed $32,100 on 10,400 loaded miles. Total miles about 13,500. So numbers are pretty good per mile. But low as far as revenue is concerned. Some guys put that many miles on in a month.

So now I'm back on the road, picking up in Saginaw MI in the morning. Rates are just really ####ty where I live. And low load volume. I really hate deadheading to Toledo or Grand Rapids.

This load I'm getting 880 loaded to MS is only paying $1900 and they wouldn't go higher. Cheap ########. Some may be happy with that but it's only $950/day. Things should be paying $1500/day to good areas and $2000+ to bad areas. Grossing $8000 a week in 2800 all miles and home every other weekend should be the norm.

Anyways I have catching up to do. I'm $21,000 behind last year at this point, although I've driven maybe half the miles. If I minus $6000 in fuel then I guess I'm $15,000 behind. I plan on staying out until June. Been a while since I've had a nice long trip and I've spent a lot of time at home the last 6 months. So now that the warmer weather is starting to come around a little, hopefully it will bring better prices with it.

Last year at this time I was running ragged for crap rates. Feb and March. I wasn't willing to kill myself for cheap brokers this time around.

But you live by the board, you die by the board. Oh sure, there are longer term opportunities around, if you want to run for crap. They're used to the same people hauling their cheap freight regularly and when one goes out of business there's another idiot to take their place.

Still looking for a team driver. But can't hire until May since the boss said our insurance won't allow more drivers/trucks until we renew.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    We are still around. I’ll be continuing to watch your thread.

Bean Jr. and flood Thank this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Hang in there, buddy. Another month and you will be getting what you want. Flats are already up with some guys posting best ever numbers.
    This year is already much much better than last 2 years

5. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yep. With a flat its the best I've seen since the early 2000s. Not quite 95 to 98 levels, but still #### good.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. the white knight

the white knight Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2017
    WELCOME BACK!!!

We missed you. I’m always for hire but like we discussed I live in the Northeast.

8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Why don't you just hire a husband and wife team and
    Let them pay off that truck in 2 years instead of
    Four.
    Let them go wherever they want for as long as they want as long as your Making money.
    Take a local job and keep your phone handy in
    Case they call with a problem.

When it's paid for say thanks,and kick'em out.
    Or put them in another new one and you
    Can stay close to home with the paid for truck.
    Maybe that's all easier said then done.

I'd do that before I ran team myself.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah, like good husband and wife teams just lay around readily available. It's hard to find a good solo driver, left alone a good team. Teams are in crazy demand right now

Bean Jr. and Western flyer Thank this.
  10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I was just throwing it out there.
    You never know. There's a price for freedom.
    I'm talking about giving them the keys and
    Leaving the alone.
    If they want to stop and visit the grandkids
    For 3 days they shouldn't have to ask.
    As long as they make the appointments on time,
    No problem.

You got to give them something above and
    Beyond the other guy.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I've been in contact with a husband and wife team. Offered $300/day each. On a W-2.
    Problem is that it would cost me $400-420k per year with fuel, extra wear on the truck, new tires, etc. etc. And based on 40 weeks running, $11,500/week.would be break even. $13,500 would be equal to what I would net if I drive around solo like i am now. $15,000/week avg would be what I'd need to make it worth it.

Just not sure that's consistently doable on 100% load boards. I really don't know much about team spot market dry van rates. Maybe if someone did have a bit of experience with it, they could private message me and share what they know.

But it's not like husband and wife teams grow on trees...lol. And I'm not going reefer either.

Western flyer and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.