Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I think hut stickers a re less than $20

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Just get the one time 72 hour permit if you want to try it. That way you don't have to file quarterly NY tax. $25. Then if you decide to run that way, get the HUT sticker

BoyWander Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I thought OOIDA won a lawsuit against the state of NY over their HUT and out of state trucks no longer have to pay that tax?

Oxbow and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Thought the outcome of that suit was that they couldn't charge for the stickers anymore. Still gotta pay the tax

Edit:
    The class action lawsuit challenged the constitutionality of taxes that impose $15 for a certificate of registration and a $4 decal charge on all trucks using New York state highways. The taxes are imposed not only on New York-based trucks, which are driven proportionately higher miles in New York, but also on trucks based outside of New York, which are driven mostly in states other than New York.

http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=30533#.WKp-lMtMHqA

Oxbow, rollin coal and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    BoyWonder
    UPDATE

Can some of you other 0/o maybe just say how you book? I've talked to BW a few times. I personally do it like this with Schneider I booked 2 days out most of the time.

Now with this outfit were contract out and broker back. I have total say over rate etc...I can find it and office will sign etc. If we're going to a black hole its 4 bucks a mile or NO. Yes Refer
    Lowest I have hauled was 1.87 1700 miles I had to get home for family event. I like to be a day to 3 out. Thoughts o/o ?

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I was home and saw something last Friday that picked up on Monday and I booked it. It had a posted rate. I had seen it posted many times before at various rates. It was not stellar, not even as high as I have seen it post, but fairly good and I figured I could work with it.

Then my reload for tomorrow I actually booked it today around lunch which is in a normally bad area and not getting calls. But I got one call and it was decent so I booked it so fast it would make your head spin (knew what I needed and it was there). The 3rd and final load of the triangle came from a broker I've worked with a lot over the past couple of years. He works at a mega.

He had a good load with a decent rate completing the trip. It was actually a better rate than any other similar load from a random broker would have paid. It did require tanker endorsed and temp control. If you don't have it already BW get your tanker endorsement. Amazing how easy it is to get and how few van and/or reefer drivers out here have it. Booked up until this Friday and will be home for lunch. Scratched out an OK week in a bad market. Nothing special

I spent about 2 hours perusing loads this week. I called on 3 and they were terrible so I passed and decided to wait on any calls. It was mostly crickets chirping though but luckily got that call. That's how I do it but I've been doing it for 5 years now. Learn an area or two and you'll know what works and what you need. Now the second load was pure luck but you got to have a little of that every now and then too. And sometimes there is bad luck I have that too lol once in a while is OK it just makes you better.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Oxbow, BoyWander, mladen86 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I think my dispatcher and I should try to do better about booking a day ahead. But sometime there's nothing. Right now I'm somewhere in east/central Iowa, and snowstorm is gonna hit tomorrow morning/early afternoon. I've been having a much better week than the last two so far, but I need a good weekend run back down south somewhere to beef up the week. Right now, at 9:30pm, there's just about nothing on the board going to FL, GA or AL. I'm looking for another 1000-1300 miles for the weekend. I hope stuff pops up in the morning while I'm getting offloaded.

I really need to finish this week strong, so I'm praying tonight that something pops up good and we grab it for a decent rate.

dan31186 Thanks this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    We are all pulling for ya!

BoyWander Thanks this.
  10. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Absolutely nothing popped up on the board today anywhere within 250 miles of Cedar Rapids, IA going to FL. Only a small handful were posted going to GA or AL.
    Ended up taking a load 120mi deadhead going to Mobile, AL area for $1.92/mi, like 850 miles or so. SO SO disappointed. If I was able to get a good load to FL, like 1250 miles, and get even $2600 for it, I would have grossed $6200 for the week on 3200 miles. So now I'm going to end up with $5,330 on 3000 all miles and have to start next week off in Mobile, AL. Kinda disappointed. Going to try to head back up to MN. Couldn't do that yesterday with big snowstorm coming through, and I was empty near South Bend, IN anyway and nothing out there. Had to deadhead to Joliet, IL to get reloaded.

So my week wasn't bad, it's just ending crappy. Started empty in MN got $2.20mi to Alabama with 20 empty miles, then $1.40 to South Bend area, with 6 empty miles. Then 100 empty miles to Joliet, 282 loaded to Iowa for $600 and then this crap, southeastern IA to Mobile for $1.92. So the week wasn't bad, it's just ending on a disappointing note - but it is still slow out there.

When empty Thursday morning in South Bend area, I was trying to find anything shorter going to IA, WI, MN, hoping to set myself up for a really good weekend run. I thought my dispatch guy had done well in finding the short load to Iowa for $600, to set me up for today. But this morning I got empty really early, and the board was bone dry on anything with good miles unless I wanted to go to Utah or AZ or some crap. Utah was paying almost $2/mi probably because of snowstorm, and there was a load to MT going for almost $3, that got taken down pretty quickly, but I'm not going out there.

Starting to get the picture that the freight is flowing mostly north to south. I bet in a month or 6 weeks it might start reversing, so that spring and summer is probably south to north, and the rates will reverse. It's just the constantly fluctuating market volumes and even rates is throwing my head into a spin. It's difficult to keep up with what I could get from where and when. It's not just as simple as picking a load from the board and having at it and stuffing your pocket with money. Sometimes it's just as much work trying to FIND the right load than it is hauling it.

If anyone is in my position where you're thinking of buying a truck and going spot market, really take a minute to think about where you're getting your freight from. Spot market is like Stock market. It's like roulette. Gambling. It's a game that's played by many and mastered by few. I'm still at a beginner level. Hoping to get to novice level sometime in the next 2 years. And yeah that is probably accurate. Not gonna say I'm in over my head, but it's just tedious.

Ok looks like I'm loaded. See yall later.

Oxbow, Lepton1, dan31186 and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Where is @nax when you need him ! Wasn't he trying to hook you up on some loads not long ago ? :rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.