Financial Advice for those wanting to be an O/O

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ColoradoLinehaul, Sep 30, 2022.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know if using the Pin code or not makes any difference. My self, I always hit the button to run it as credit. A guy at the bank told me it can be better not to put everything on the air in this wireless age. But I do know my bank used an fraud protection service that seems to be effective. Twice I went to use my card, it was declined, and I immediately got a text asking me to call them. They read off one or two suspicious transactions. One time they weren't mine and I was never charged anything. The other they were. And then my card was unlocked again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    As I said, I think pretty highly of Ramsey, and I actually use mostly cash for personal purchases. Part of that is the benefit of getting a discount here and there for cash, part of it is ease of budgeting (when it's gone, it's gone, can't overspend if you're spending cash), part is that I'm not about to hand my card (any card) to a server to abscond with for five minutes to do who knows what with, part of it is I don't want Target to lose my card information, part of it is that I really don't want the "cloud" to know how much I spend on liquor, ammo and guns. I have an open credit card with a ridiculous credit line, but I never use it. But, I've also have not gone over my personal budget since my divorce 11 years ago (no, that's not a coincidence, lol). Still, the data is very clear: people spend more money if they use a credit card than if they use cash. Very few people, if any, escape that -- and it doesn't matter that you pay it off every month. You've still impulsed more even if you pay it off.

All that said, a LOT of my business purchases are made via a credit card, and my employees carry a company credit card. The cash back is nice (ok, really nice), but the extra layer of separation between my bank account and the card account is the main reason. It's nice to just get a statement, match it up with the receipts, reconcile it and just make one payment a month. I justi fy it by saying that business spending is not subject to impulse spending, but of course it is, at least to some extent. But people look at me funny at the shop when I start counting out 100's to pay for the transmission rebuild and they won't take a check.....

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Oh how true this is!!! Lol. We just got back from vacation two weeks ago. We took 1000 in cash, to be used for restaurant tips, mini golf and whatever else where cash was more convenient. But meals, and any bigger expenses (I went on a fishing trip while on vacation) went on the credit card. Didn't think twice about swiping the card for whatever reason. I had enough money in the bank to max that credit card out and pay it off when I got home. So I wasn't worried.

But, man when I got home and started looking at the receipts, and realized just how much we spent with the credit card versus the cash ....my head was spinning. But at least we had a great trip. The bills are paid, and we barely noticed the financial dent. Just waiting to see how much cash back I'll get lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.