Finding a O/O to practice with before heading to school...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by falconbowhunter, Mar 10, 2012.

1. falconbowhunter

falconbowhunter Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've got my permit and I was thinking it would really be nice to get a handle on what shifting and handling such a big truck would entail before I leap both feet first into getting loans for school. How would I go about finding someone in my area that would be willing to teach a total newbie the basics of truck handling?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    That's a good idea...however, not that easy to accomplish. So you want to let a perfect stranger allow you to just jump in HIS pride and joy, chromed up Pete and "try" out shifting and driving, right ? To see if you like it ? Even if this would happen, driving is just a small part of trucking, which fools a lot of newbies in the beginning. They don't realize there's more than just hopping on the interstate in Ca. and jumping off in Jersey.

RickG Thanks this.
  4. Peterbeatinit

Peterbeatinit Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    San Antonio Tx
    First is insurance..Most owner ops with their own trailers etc are independents who carry their own load insurance and so on..there are strict restrictions

along with what the previous posters said..Now..if you wanted to practice in a controlled environment, call a local trucking company and see if they would allow you to practice small thins like shifting in their yard..Some will some won't..they may even allow a driver hanging around the shop help you with backing and I guarantee it will be in the yard queen but hey..its worth the shot..

A typical company yard queen truck is about the equivalent of a school truck anyways..wore out, beat up, and falling apart lmao

Petey

5. falconbowhunter

falconbowhunter Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Findlay, Ohio

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of going out on the road. I was thinking if somebody could help me with basic shifting and backing on a big lot somewhere would be nice to get a sense of what I'm might be getting into. I'd be nice to know whether or not I have a flippin chance to pick up what they teach in truck school nor not. For instance this double clutching stuff sounds really complicated every time I read about it. I have this slight fear that 5 weeks might not be enough time for me to pick up this complicated shifting technique in a huge ##### truck.

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    stop worrying about it.

Most instructors worth their salt want you to succeed. They are not going to go out of their way to fail you out.

Just go slow and don't rush things. The bigger a vehicle is, the more you have to finesse it.

7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

its not that hard, if this guy can do it you can do it....

[​IMG]

American Trucker

8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    At least his shirt is tucked in.

Jackofalltrades1977 Thanks this.
  9. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
  10. Peterbeatinit

Peterbeatinit Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2012
    San Antonio Tx
    All I can say to that pic..is..Wow...

If you graduated high school then the book side of things won't be hard at all..

the driving side..if you can drive a stick shift car you can pick up shifting a truck..its more gears and more to the shifting..but it is still shifting and is all about remembering the pattern...it quickly becomes second nature..and even after 6 years off the road I can still shift an 18 speed in my sleep..and if somebody else is driving and they about to hit somebody or something I still go for the imaginary clutch...I still catch myself swinging wide to make a 90 degree turn in either direction too..

Bottom line..its just learning new habits..once you have them..they are stuck forever...

Its just like smoking..doesn't take you long to catch on to it..but takes a life time to kick the habit..and a lot of the smoking habt is the comfort of holdin that cig in your hand

after you start driving within the first month you'll be shifting smoothly without a second thought..within 3 months you'll be backing and nailing it for the most part although there WILL always be days where you'll be glad to get it in the dock after 20 tries..that habit will develop once you get used to how your truck turns the trailer while backing that you can almost always nail your setup to back in...

A year from now and it won't be a second thought unless you have to blind side one in..then the pucker factor will come back in a hurry..but any more there aren't a whole lot of places you have to blind side....I think the whole time I drove I only had to blind side a trailer into a dock 3 times?..maybe 4....its all about planning ahead in most cases...every now and then you get that dingbat architect that puts an addition on a building in just the wrong spot too close to that one dock door so you have to blind side in..but it was rare...when it came to truck stops..I just didn't do it..if it was the only spot available i would go nose in first before I would blind side....then back back out in the morning...nice thing about a pete or kw..they didn't take a whole lot of wheel to keep a trailer straight backing up..Getting it to turn when you wanted it too took some planning..LOL..(long nose and long time to get back under it...too much angle and you never would catch te trailer..and would have to pull up and straight up to less of an angle..

petey

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.