Firearms in truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NATIONWYDE, Oct 7, 2006.

1. manofmerit

manofmerit Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2011
    reno
    I grew up in L.A. So, when I run down there I always kept my small 380 caliber pistol concealed. It only came out when I slept and was loaded and ####ed at night. Years ago I would park in Santa Fe Springs and never had problems. One night a small Honda with two Hispanic men parked near my truck and marked my tires for a gang hit. I did not carry a pistol then. I was startled to hear three others come up to my truck and try to force there way in. I managed to start my truck and get away. If they had managed to get in, what do you think my chances would have been to escape alive? Or would some of you crank down the window and make nice with them? I was lucky, but ever since then I pack a gun.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi
    No, there is nothing in the "little green book" that makes firearms in a CMV illegal.

Yes, you can carry in ANY state as long as you follow their laws regarding TRANSPORT of a firearm.

No, you do not have to "register" your firearm.
    (registration is NOT required in MOST States)

There is a LONG post on this forum that has the relevant links to information you need.
    Even includes a link to the letters from DOT that state emphatically that carrying firearms in a CMV is NOT illegal.
    Please read it and get the FACTS before accepting heresay and outright bad information from the T.S. lawyers.
    Companies blatantly lie about the Federal regs to drivers to discourage them from carrying guns in their trucks.
    The lies the big trucking companies tell their drivers are then spread as "gospel" by their illiterate drivers across America.

Yes, you CAN carry with your permit in States that give reciprocity to you.
    www.usacarry.com

SEVERAL States are now "Open Carry", and a few are even "concealed carry without permit".
    (Arizona for instance)

Here are a few of the places you can become educated on the law........
    www.concealcarry.org
    www.handgunlaw.us
    www.opencarry.org
    www.carryconcealed.net
    www.defensivecarry.com

07-379Pete and crazyhorse1 Thank this.
  4. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi
    Nope.
    That is INCORRECT.......

any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm

5. SpaceCase

SpaceCase Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Newark, CA USA
    Before I go on... IANAL!

I disagree that he is incorrect (assuming that the user you quote, is answering the question to the OP).

The user you quote is stating this for the purpose of concealed carry reciprocity. The statute you cite below (18 USC §926A) is the"Firearm Owners Protection Act".

Here is the entire statute:

To emphasize the risk of using this statute to transport a firearm across state lines where RKBA is denied, please read Revell v. Port Authority of New York. and while you're at it, also Brian Aitken...

See also; HR-822: National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act (Handgun Carry).

I emphasize that it's important, that if you are concealed carrying a firearm or handgun, that one makes sure that you check the state laws regarding the carrying of concealed firearms/handguns. One can also do this by visiting Handgunlaw.us

It's also EXTREMELY important to be EXTREMELY careful about reading certain laws, and omitting certain language from these statutes for one's convenience, because it's just too #### risky.

And again... IANAL!

Erik.

6. tulendown

tulendown Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Better to stand before 12 than to be carried by 6........ Lots of gun vaults for transportation out there that can be accessed quickly if need be. Once again, criminals are better protected by ignorant laws than the average law abiding citizen trying to make a living.

7. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    I know if i had a gun on me last night I would have prob shot myself.
    driving up 95 in that easter traffic near DC.

for 40 miles your going 25 MPH the whole way.

8. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

(I've always wanted to use that line.)

9. TankerYankr

TankerYankr Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Central US

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    i'd rather be in jail for the rest of my life than dead.

fancypants Thanks this.
  11. crazyhorse1

crazyhorse1 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2011
    harlingen,texas
    i have read many post on here about the legallity of carrying a hand gun in the truck.must be an ongoing subject , i have just joined this sight so the post are all new to me.. but informative. yet still no clear answer if we can stay out of trouble by having a self defense weapon with our travels.. i have been driving as an owner operator leased with a large company, i asked them if they had a policy on this and ,they replied no, but that the dot regulations had one , but i believe that is wrong, no federal law against it.
    now if i chose to carry one, i would have 2 small safes to keep the empty gun in one and ammo and empty magazines in the other at all times except when i stop for the night. would this be ok thruout the states? in all my years out here , i have been asked once if they could search my truck, i said yes, he was quick , in the bunk, looked around and out he came , course , i was not carrying a gun yet.
    there are some very unsavory places that we have to go into at times , and sometimes i picture someone breaking in the truck with a gun, and me in the bunk with nothing but a bat, what would be the outcome i wonder..
    i did have an attempted hijacking once in jersey, was hauling a load of beer. but i managed to avoid it. any and all info appriciated. izzy

123456 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.