Fired For 1st Preventable Accident In 10 Years

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Crev9, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Crev9

Crev9 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Can a truck driver (company driver) be eligible for unemployment in georgia if they were fired after being in 1 accident? I have been verbally complimented on my safety record by the safety department in the past. I believe I was fired by a person who has a personal issue with me for some unknown reason. I recorded the phone call (legal in georgia) I received that informed me I was fired. It's clear when listening to it that the person has issue with me but used the accident I believe as a reason to fire me. I've been driving over 10 years and this was the first preventable accident I've been in. Do you think I will be able to get unemployment until my next job?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    File for unemployment, if they deny you, appeal it. You will then have a hearing and be able to state your case.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You probably won't be unemployed but a few days.
    ~
    I was fired one time in Tennessee and that disqualified me for unemployment.
    Had a new job within the week anyway, so I wasted my time with the unemployment office.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Wait a minute, you were fired because of a personal issue? Usually, at least in the past, you usually got one, as long as you didn't kill or maim someone.. Depending on whether the job is worth it, and it doesn't sound like it is, I'd go after that person. That recording is gold for you.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    State laws vary regarding your situation. I would file for unemployment and then appeal it like stated above. I wouldn’t get caught up in legal stuff. If you got your job back after a legal battle I don’t think anyone internally would like you. Plenty of companies hiring.

Now what might bite you is who will hire you. The big companies probably will be able to hire you but the pay won’t be what your used to and everyone now does extensive training in the newbie fleets, so try to find a smaller operation first. Good luck enjoy the vacation.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    sometimes people just do not like other people.

now, it is highly possible that your company had adopted a no accident policy, recently, especially if they had to pay pay out of pocket, some accident claims, or they filed a claim with thier insurance carrier.

you should be employable, your new employer will most likely want a police report of the accident.

you'll be hire again.

good luck

deathB4decaf and Western flyer Thank this.
  8. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I have a relative who was fired for getting cited for running a red light. On the spot. Told where to park truck and find his own ride home.
    He told the cop there was no way in the world he could safely stop for the light. Then asked the cop if he would rather cause a wreck or run the light.
    Cop said don’t matter. It is Memorial Day weekend and we were told to write citations.
    Hasn’t been to court, convicted or any of that. SEE YA!

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why bother filing? You can spend the time putting out a few apps and be running again before unemployment kicks in.

bryan21384, D.Tibbitt and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    In the amount of time u spend filling out all the paperwork and dealing with bs for unemployment , u could have another job.... What was this "preventable" accident?

201 Thanks this.
  11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Depending on the accident he might not be hireable to a mega for several years because the company will ding his Dac with something like "Driver violated saftey regs" and his mvr will have points as well. Thats when its time to look on Craigslist.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.