Firespock on with QC as L/P IC

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by firespock, Mar 26, 2015.

1. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like things were good for you last year (better than containers anyway), how did you run (out all week, home for two or out all month) , what was your average settlement after expenses.....Any wisdom other O/O pasees on to you along the way. How is the Joliet terminal to work for?

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rix43

Rix43 Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2015
    NW of Chicago
    Love the Joliet terminal. Oh snap - also QC is offering a $3000 sign on bonus right now anyone that comes over with tank experience, and they are paying it out within 4 months.
    Joliet is a huge combo of local, regional (out and back), and system (OTR). If you live within striking distance you can get home a few nights a week plus weekends - you can stay out til Christmas - you can work weekends - you name it. If you live on the East Coast, you can be home when you want too. Just not as much, but we have loads to PA, NJ, and Baltimore - the terminal out there loads you and sends you back. When you're ready to come back.
    Money - remember I am a little different cause I do not have huge personal bills. And I enjoy seeing my wife a couple nights per week. Before expenses, you should average 3 to 4.5k per week your cut. You still have to take your fuel and what nots out. Like my truck payment, insuarance, plates, permits, etc. are $750 to 800 per week, and I usually spend about $1100 in fuel. Right now I have a repair loan that I pay back at $300 per week, but that is only 11 weeks. Everything is relative to how much you like to be home. There were a few weeks I grossed over 5k and it was like chocolate mousse desert after a steak dinner. And usually once a month for about 5 days - I do not go home :) I let her be crabby those 5 days by herself.
    Words of wisdom, it is hard to pin point one or two things. A lot of us talk, text and Facebook so much now. We help each other with customers, directions, fuel stops, if our terminal is dying for trucks or if our terminal is slow - that way we know who to call for work. When our terminal is slow they do not mind us reaching out to other terminals for work, which is awesome. I have friends at a bunch of different terminals now - drivers and dispatchers. People that are having fun and enjoying life are the ones I magnet to, and we just help each other out whenever we can.

Night night

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    Reason for edit: Removed referral solicitation
    Speed_Drums, RERM and Blue4ever Thank this.
  4. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Did QC

Did QC finance your repairs?

5. Rix43

Rix43 Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2015
    NW of Chicago
    They did. The terminal has to approve it, since they get stuck with the balance if someone ditches out. Guess I'm trustworthy enough

hey_serg Thanks this.
  6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    @Rix43 any dealing with the Lancing Terminal since they are now corporately run?

7. Rix43

Rix43 Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2015
    NW of Chicago
    No sir. Rumor has it - the Lansing terminal and Channahon terminal combined onto 1 corporate terminal. What I do know is they put that terminal in our yard and even have a shop in our yard :D I'll let you know if I find out more.

slim shady Thanks this.
  8. Nsterns

Nsterns Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Rockport Texas
    Do you have any Information on Terminals in Texas? I see QC is hiring in the Corpus Christi and Houston areas. I was approved with DB and QC 6 or 7 months ago but decided to take another job. I really don't know if my new situation is going to work out. Anyway I would like to work out of a terminal close to home.

9. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    @Rix43 I'll have to keep an eye out for you since we share the same terminal, just different companies.

(I do have thoughts about QC (not Joliet specific) but out of respect for you, I'll keep them to myself)

Rix43 Thanks this.
  10. Rix43

Rix43 Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2015
    NW of Chicago
    As long as you are not blaming your truck and the people you bought it from as the reason you couldn't hang on - I welcome comments on the other side of good experiences. Hopefully things have changed since you left, but if not it gives us all something to look for. Negative experiences as just as helpful as positive experiences.

Verbalwolf Thanks this.
  11. Rix43

Rix43 Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2015
    NW of Chicago
    I know the affiliate in Pasadena is awesome, they are owned by the Louisville, KY affiliate. Right now they are not taking on any DB trucks, because they have been stung with some pretty big loans; when the O/O left the program and them holding the note on the loan. There is a new Corporate terminal in Houston somewhere. All together I believe there is 6 terminals in Houston? I know nothing about Corpus Christie.

When I used to run the road for Joliet - I enjoyed going to the Houston area, because I knew I'd be getting a decent load pretty quick back out of there. But again, the terminal you choose from the beginning might not be the terminal that works for your needs.

The key for all terminals is to get you back to run your home terminals loads, because they make the most from their drivers hauling their own loads with their own terminal trailers. QC gets 15% right off the bat - the other 23% is divided up over Who's load it is, who's driver you are, and who's trailer you are pulling. The last 62% goes to the one who owns the truck. Therefore your terminal wants you pulling their load with their trailer, so they can have the full 23%. The benefit of that is they are always going to try to get you back to the terminal; and if you live near that terminal, it is your bonus.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.